Climbing Gear - Then and Now

11:10 p.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,262 forum posts

This article seems apropos to Trailspace, as a Gear Guide site, and especially timely given TS's very own Giftofgab's imminent trip.

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/everest/gear-edmund-hillary-hilaree-oneill/

I find it particularly intriguing that I discovered this article not in an outdoors publication, but on the Apple.com "Hot News" page (www.apple.com/startpage).  It's interesting to see that climbers are now carrying iPads and iPhones.  Very cool! :D

5:47 a.m. on March 25, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Personally I can do without the tech gadgetry.

Note some things haven't changed at all; hot tea, hard salami and cheese has been mountaineering staples since its inception.  I was surprised no mention was made of the glove systems used.  This remains one of the chief challenges of cold weather mountaineering, keeping one's hands dry and warm, yet dexterous enough to perform sundry tasks.

Ed

12:37 p.m. on March 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Nor was there a mention of ropes. "Peppermint Patties" sounds like a personal choice. Hillary and Norgay had Kendall Mint Cakes, still one of my favs. And cotton/nylon blend clothing(warp and weft, not "wrap")? We are still trying today to find clothing that is water repellent and breathable.

12:38 p.m. on March 25, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,262 forum posts

Yeah, I figured the part about the tech tools might be contentious. :). Some arduously disagree with their use while others of us find them valuable.

Good point about the gloves. That's a weak point for some of us even under 'ordinary' conditions.

4:03 a.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Erich said:

..Hillary and Norgay had Kendall Mint Cakes, still one of my favs...

Was one of my favs too, except a three week Sierra trip in the 1980s required each member to consume a whole brick of that candy every day.  To this day I physically shudder at the smell.

Ed

12:00 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Erich said:

We are still trying today to find clothing that is water repellent and breathable.

To some (here, and elsewhere), this has become "rocket science".   Sometimes, obsessively so.

~ r2 ~

3:25 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Ed, I still order mint cakes from friends going to England. A brick a day! I don't wonder you shudder. They do beat glucose tablets or the glucose packs for taste, and the latter can spring leaks. The article also mentioned tins of fish...oddly, I still take along a can of sardines every once in a while. Good source of protein, fish oil, calcium.

9:13 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Erich said:

..The article also mentioned tins of fish...oddly, I still take along a can of sardines every once in a while. Good source of protein, fish oil, calcium.

I bring a few tins of kippers on longer trips, warming them up right in the tin for breakfast.  Can't say my companions appreciate the effect they have on my digestion, however...

Ed

10:38 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Thanks bheiser1 for the link.

I am not a climber, but the article did catch my eye. So did the mention of carrying tins of fish.

I almost always carry tins of fish, or the foil pouches of Salmon.

For me it is an excellent source of nutrition, and I love fish.

I also make a pretty mean Salmon patty for lunch when I am having a camp day.

Salmon patties, rice, and a Bloody Mary, mmmn!

My friends mostly shake their heads in disgust, but more for me I guess.

Mike G.

11:33 a.m. on March 27, 2012 (EDT)
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

love the foil packets of smoked salmon.  tanka bars too - buffalo meat with cranberries, adaptation of a traditional native american food, wasna.

my best attempt to blend warmth with dexterity has been lobster-handed mitts.  having the index finger separate is helpful.  of course, that's the finger that gets cold first.   my hands are always warmer in mitts. 

2:08 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Amazing change then to now

7:44 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I love the boiled wool mittens. They are useless if you have little things to manipulate, but I wear them with liners so I just slip one off for a min. It is amazing how waterproof and breathable these things are. I hope to never go back to the newer fabrics. My mother makes them for me. She sells them in a little shop and can barely keep up with the demand. If any of you trailspacers want a pair shoot me a pm.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply