About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Eureka Spitfire 1 or EMS Velocity 1?

4:16 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am looking to replace my BA Seedhouse 1SL with a side-entry tent to avoid rain dripping on the head of my sleeping bag when I exit. I'd also like to avoid some of the condensation that comes with the Seedhouse and be able to cook inside (Jetboil) when it rains. I like to be able to cram the dog in with me too.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Spitfire 1 or the Eastern Mountain Sports Velocity 1. Spitfire has a side door that barely shelters the sleeping bag, a tiny vestibule that looks to me like it would accomodate the Jetboil, a vent in the roof and 42" width at the shoulders. Velocity 1 has a bigger vestibule, 38" width at the shoulders and no ceiling vent. Both have 18 square feet of floor space. I'm thinking the Velocity 1 is more square and perhaps has more usable space, Jetboil would fit better, but with a narrower floor, maybe the dog wouldn't fit. Velocity 1 lacks the vent in the roof. They both seem about the same weight when you find users who have put them on scales. 

Who has experience with these tents to help me decide?

4:31 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey mutski, welcome to the wonderful world of Trailspace.

Quick question for ya. Is there a price range you are trying to stay within? There may be better options out there for ya.

I am worried in regards to the Velocity being there is no vent up top. This could be an issue in regards to ventilation/condensation dependent upon conditions etc. of course.

Then ya have the Spitfire with a small vesti so cooking in it may be an issue.

Just a heads up. The cooking in tents subject has been quite a topic of discussion here in the past. ;)

I am a solo tent person. I own a 3 and 4 season model.

4:33 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
689 forum posts

I can't comment on either of those shelters, but there may be other side entry options similar to the Velocity 1.

One that has provided me some interest is the Exped Mira 1p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdfyNOQxxM

There is also the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 and the MSR Hubba 1.  The Exped seems to take a bunch of good features from all of them and put them in one package (i.e. fly vents, extra gear storage, additional cross pole by the head end, higher hydrostatic head for floor and fly, etc).

4:41 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have the Copper Spur 1. Here is my review if you are interested(its the 1st one on the list):

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/copper-spur-ul1/#review23539

Please be advised that BA made a few design changes in regards to this model for 2012. They eliminated the small pass-thru door that I reference in the review as well as a different color variation for the fly.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul12012

Essentially its the same tent for the most part.

4:44 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

make sure to have room for the dog

4:52 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

mutski said: "..........and be able to cook inside (Jetboil) when it rains."

Can "O" Worms opened!  :-}>

4:55 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

A vent and closable for afterwards, would be very good to have if cooking within.

6:42 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

If you insist on cooking in your tent, how about this one?

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/lynxpass2

lynxpass2flyawningoption1.jpg

It's not nearly as light as the 1 man tents but it's made out of more durable material, has a whole lot more space and the vestibule is huge.

6:54 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The Mira 1 does remind me of the Copper Spur 1 to an extent in regards to a few design features. Not a bad looking lil rig.

There are alot of solo shelters out there. Mountain Hardwear Sprite, GoLite Eden, Terra Nova, blah blah blah.

Alot of options.

7:57 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

mutski said:

..I'd also like to.. ..be able to cook inside (Jetboil) when it rains...

Brain said:

Can "O" Worms opened!  :-}>

Sigh.  Here we go again...

Doug:

Rather than rehash why cooking in a tent is considered unwise – BTW that’s an understatement – search the forum using keywords like “tent fire” “carbon monoxide” “explosive” “burned” “foolish” “Darwin award.”  Or perhaps if you are still uninspired, I’ll make it easy and provide two links to get you started, just click here and here.  Just remember cooking inside a tent is a gamble simular to unprotected sex and drunk driving.

--------------------

As for the tents you are considering:  The Eurika does not provide a dry entry; you will be merely shifting the wet spot from the head of the tent (and whatever gear is there) to the side.  The EMS tent has a much better entry, less wetness depending how skillfully you enter the tent.  But getting a dog inside either of these tents with you is a cramped accommodation, and a wet dog – well what’s the point in getting dry entry tent if you let a muddy pooch in your living room?  But if you insist, I would suggest at least getting a larger tent.  The Velocity 2 is more suitable, while the MSR Hubba Hubba is a fine alternative of similar configuration. 

I found bringing an umbrella on trips to be a fine augmentation to my kit.  It facilitates a drier entry into any tent, facilitates keeping cooler with under way, allowing you partially unzip rain gear for better ventilation, and even is useful on hot, sunny hikes to keep the sun off without sweating under a hat.  Go Lite has some light weight parasols designed specifically for hikers.

Ed

8:26 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
689 forum posts

Golite umbrellas on sale right now at www.golite.com.

11:13 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks for all the quick replies! Point taken on cooking inside. However, I've been weathered in for 3 and 4 days in the Brooks Range, and pretty jealous of my buddy who has room to heat dinner under his tent fly while I try to cook in sideways rain. I bought a Sil Nylon tarp for awning, but I haven't actually tried it yet.

I was hoping to stay under $300, but I have to admit the Copper Spur looks like the cat's meow! Lots of room, roof vent, covered door, big vestibule and still less than 3 lbs. Totally perfect, but I'd have to think longer to spend the extra $100. The Exped Mira looks great, but slightly smaller and still over $300. If I go that route, I think the Copper Spur wins out. If I ignore the drips on the head of the sleeping bag, I could see the Fly Creek UL2, 'bout the same weight as my Seedhouse 1 with room for sure for the muddy dog. 

But as I said, I'll have to think a while before I exceed $300. Has anyone actually put the Velocity 1 through some cold and rain? How did it perform? Excessive condensation? Fragile? If I go that route, I guess the muddy dog sleeps on top of me!

The Lynx Pass looks great, until I read 3 lbs 15 oz. I've been struggling to lighten my load; started packing 65 lbs 4 or 5 years ago, now my pack for 7 or 8 days runs 45 or 48 pounds and feels WAY better. I'm thinking about trading my Lowe 65+15 for an REI Flash 62. That would save 2 lbs if I can squeeze enough food into it. 

11:36 p.m. on April 1, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I have a Spitfire 1, its okay. Nothing fantastic. It'll keep the bugs off ya. I never had it in the rain so cant say how it would do in the rain. My guess is that you would have issues with touching the inner fly and getting wet. Even with the vent up top it doesnt breathe all that well either. It is warm because of that tho. I found it to be pretty confining too, not sure your gonna want the dog in there with ya.

Well after looking at what I just wrote I guess Im not recomending the Spitfire. LOL.....If your willing to spend the $$ there are much better options then the Spitfire.  

I replaced mine with a BA Copper Spur 1 and Im very happy with it.

1:21 a.m. on April 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

The Lynx Pass looks great, until I read 3 lbs 15 oz.

How big is your dog?  Maybe he could carry the poles?

10:54 p.m. on April 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

For one person and a dog, a marmot aura 2p would be great. Lots of room two doors and no rain or condensation. Two vestibules to cook in. Just over four pounds, but a great tent

1:30 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

If your still interested in the Spitfire 1 I'll sell ya mine if ya like.  PM me if interested.

1:41 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Has anyone tried the Nemo Obi 1? Looks good, but I wonder about the high cutout in the head of the fly as a spot for rain to blow in.

1:51 a.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I like the OB 1. Almost bought one but the steep angle of the sidewalls(no ridge/spanner pole) killed it for me. Ended up with the Spur because if ya sit up in a tent like this its kinda like wearing a hat to some degree.

The catenary cut in the fly worried me as well.

Nemo makes a nice tent though.

2:50 p.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I love my spitfire but I wouldn't want to share it with a dog, especially in the rain. I've never had any condensation problems in my spitfire but you do have to be careful entering durring a rain. The vestibule on a spitfire is very minimal leaving just enough room for your pack and boots.

4:28 p.m. on April 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Ya well, REI has a 20% off sale. I ordered the Copper Spur UL1 for $279. Lightest of the bunch, more room, nice vestibule, ceiling vents. I think I can squeeze in the dog. Thanks for all the replies!

7:58 a.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

In case you're not following us on Twitter, here's what EMS said in response:

Eastern MNTN Sports @EASTERNMNTN

@trailspace Not familiar with the Spitfire but I have to say our Velocity 1 will be pretty tight squeeze with a dog! ^JD #gobigger

6:27 p.m. on April 28, 2012 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

not side entry but seirra designs clip flashlight. 2 person tent large vest. 3.5 lbs and $170.. pretty hard to beat

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply