Light 2 man tent

12:02 p.m. on November 22, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Have decided it is time to shed a few pounds from the pack. I am therefore, among things, looking to reduce the weight of my tent. I have narrowed the search to the S.D. Clip Flashlight, L.L. Bean Microlight, Walrus Zoid 2 and perhaps the REI Half Dome Plus 2. Use would be 2 adults, one 6'2" and the other about 5'11' and growing. Strictly 3 season in the Adirondacks and probably 3 nights at a time max. Any opinions of the afore mentioned tents or anything I left out (under $200) will be appreciated.

10:10 p.m. on November 22, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

look at TNF slickrock

about 4lbs. i've had good experiences with it although my tall friend complains its a little short for him, so that could be a serious impedement for you tall people. the tent is free-standing (unlike some of the ones you mentioned, i believe) and manages its light weight by being partly single walled. about half the tent it mesh with a fly over it, but the other half is a waterproof single wall. its a good compromise. of course, although i have this 4 lb tent which packs small and is light to carry, i rarely bring it anymore, as i find the best way to shave weight is simply not to bring things. no matter how light your gear is, its never as light as not bringing it at all! good luck.

Quote:

Have decided it is time to shed a few pounds from the pack. I am therefore, among things, looking to reduce the weight of my tent. I have narrowed the search to the S.D. Clip Flashlight, L.L. Bean Microlight, Walrus Zoid 2 and perhaps the REI Half Dome Plus 2. Use would be 2 adults, one 6'2" and the other about 5'11' and growing. Strictly 3 season in the Adirondacks and probably 3 nights at a time max. Any opinions of the afore mentioned tents or anything I left out (under $200) will be appreciated.

7:16 a.m. on November 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. John

I have 2 LL Bean Tents that I use in the Adirondacks and Catskills. I have the 2 man Microlight that I use with my wife when traveling lite or hiking with my son (sounds like your situation). very lite and sturdy. The same tent as the clip but cheaper. When all three of us go, we bring the 3 man litestuff. A truely great, roomy, free standing tent. But at 7 lbs, probably more than you want to hump for two people.

5:15 p.m. on December 8, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Try the REI Clipper - Freestanding, 4 lbs 11oz average minimum weight, 5 lbs 4.5 oz average packaged weight. $169

2:17 p.m. on January 31, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Bill Amidon

Quote:

Personally I would consider all of the tents you mentioned as good solo tents for six footers. However, if you are determined to squeeze two large people into a tiny tent, you might want to check out Kelty's Windfoil Ultralight because it's very long and is good for tall people. Also, the Kelty Zen would probably be a better choice than the Clip Flashlight because it's much roomier inside and it's cheaper (though a little heavier), and because the fly is polyester which stays tighter in wet conditions. If weight is really what you're after you might want to check out Eureka!'s new Zeus EXO 2 person tent. ($140) It's roomier inside than most of the tents you listed because it's a dome with 42 inches of headroom, and it is single wall with lots of hooded mesh for ventilation, and weighs only 3 lbs. 10 oz.! I would want to find out more about potential condensation problems before buying one, however, as two people in a small tent can make for a moist morning. My own personal choice would not be a hoop tent for two people. For around $180 I would get a Kelty V3 which has 49 square feet of floor space, 48 inches of headroom, two doors, and over 25 square feet of vestibule space. Now this is a proper tent for two six foot guys. Sure, it weighs 8 lbs., but that's only 4 lbs. each for two big guys.
-Willy

8:46 p.m. on February 17, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

i have bought a walrus zoid 2.o last year and used it for backpacking and camping in th porkies and superior trail and love it. i am 6'3" 285lbs , the walrus was the only decent affordable tent i could find that i fit in. i havent tried with two people but is has more then enough room for me.

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply