Frost inside tent

1:50 p.m. on November 20, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Over the weekend, I spent two nights in my Eureka 4 person tent (open field) with the back window open and the front door wide open. When I got up, there was frost inside, particularly around my head area and frost all over the fly from the dew. It all seemed to increase the weight of the tent a couple pounds. If I close up the tent even just a little, the frost would even be more-so inside. If the night was real cold and I closed the door to keep body heat in, then the frost would completely cover everything inside, dispite leaving a vent open.. How do people manage this; particularly when setting the tent under a tree or heavy woods is not an option?

2:31 p.m. on November 20, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Steve - there is more to learn about your conditions before I can be of help. Weather wise, was it raining, humid, cold, etc.. How many people spent the night? You get the idea. For now though, although we'd think having the window and door open is good, sometimes it isn't. I am not familiar with your tent but most good venting designs favor a chimney effect. Cool air from below moving the moist, warm out the top or near the top anyway. A wide opened door shuts it down, a slightly opened door promotes it. You get the idea. If the air is not moving, even with everything opened, moist air does not escape. Work on this - it sometimes takes a few tries getting the window and door just right. I say this of course not knowing if you tried this.

Even if it improves, you may still have condensation, a natural occurrence. The more people in an enclosed environment increase the chances, i.e., more warm air from breathing into the cool night. In addition, any wet clothes or boots add to the calamity.

Finally, you are very right about the added weight of the tent in the morning. - John

2:58 p.m. on November 20, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Rich

How do people manage this; particularly when setting the tent under a tree or heavy woods is not an option?

Check Hilleberg the Tentmaker website for an excellent discussion about tent condensation.

1:23 p.m. on November 21, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Thanks for the input. I was sleeping by myself. +20 degrees; clear weather. I never realized that closing up the door a bit would actually increase the airflow. I'll give it a try as well as read the condensation-discussion website. thx all.

12:01 a.m. on December 5, 2001 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
never pitch a tent under a tree

Quote:

How do people manage this; particularly when setting the tent under a tree or heavy woods is not an option?

Never set you tent up under a tree in the Winter. Have you ever seen 800 pounds of snow fall 80 feet out of a tree? If it hit your tent you would die. Seriously - never ever set your tent up under a tree - it makes it a target for lightning in the Summer and if it rains it will drip and be wet after other places are already dry.

As to condensation - all double walled tents have condensation problems in Winter. Sometimes closing them up can drive the condensation from the inner liner to the outer layer, but only a good air flow can keep them dry. My Bibler has roof vents that let the steam out - its the dryest tent I ever used - course its also breathable.
Jim S

7:07 p.m. on March 16, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: never pitch a tent under a tree

www.geocities.com/jrstrader2000/treetent2.htm

He's right =)

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply