Whisperlite Gear Maintenence for my job

2:56 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello there,

So I work for an outdoor adventure company that takes participants out backpacking, I'm the guy that deals with gear maintenence and one of the items that we send out with our guides are Whisperlites.  Now I know how to perform maintenance on this piece of equipment, but my problem is that the guides are doing something wrong because the pump cup always comes back dry (even though the whole stove is practically new).  Another poster on here said that he re-lubricates his pump cup once a year and it works out great, so why is it that I have to re-lube it after every weekend trip?  Does anyone have any idea what the guides are doing to dry out the pump cup? 

Thanks

11:39 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

May not be the guides.  Is the fuel coming back thru the check valve on the pump because it is not sealing?  If not already done, take the end off of the pump and see if any crud is stuck in there which might allow some fuel into the tube part that the pump plunger is in and getting fuel on the leather cup, thus washing the lube off of the cup.  Is there a strainer in the bottom of the tube also if you take the plunger out and look down in there?  What are you using for lube?  Silicone grease should be fine or MSR's oil.  Hope this covers anything you have not tried yet.

Duane

November 20, 2014
Quick Reply