North Carolina winter backpacking

6:53 p.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Hey yall, Anyone care for some cold weather fun?I do 99% of my backpacking in winter,alone,I camp on summits only, so the right gear is a must, Had a close one last winter and do not want to go solo anymore..Let me know....Trail name (Insane).

11:08 p.m. on May 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Not me, I was born, raised and still live in Florida.  Camp on a summit during winter? NO.  There are several people here who will take you up on the offer.

12:06 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

ComfortinCold said:

Hey yall, Anyone care for some cold weather fun?I do 99% of my backpacking in winter,alone,I camp on summits only, so the right gear is a must, Had a close one last winter and do not want to go solo anymore..Let me know....Trail name (Insane).

My kinda guy !   I do similar; solo, also.   LOOOOOVE Winter.

Hate heat ... bugs ... tourists ... traffic.

Count me IN.  

Haven't done N.C. in Winter for quite a while.  Camped on Mt. Mitchell ... Klingmans' Dome (Tenn).

I did the Upper-Midwest and the Upper-Plains this past Winter.

~ r2 ~

12:35 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

You must be looking for membrane

7:33 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Callahan said:

You must be looking for membrane

Looking to keep my Mojo working.   It don't work in the Summertime, due to the above.

~ r2 ~

9:02 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

ComfortinCold said:

What winter??  NC didn't have a winter in 2012.  But 2010 and 2011 were rough. 

9:31 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

CIC, I enjoy highland winter backpacking quite a lot, though my schedule probably won't allow for planning much in advance for outings planned out in advance.

My suggestion would be to spend some time here on TS getting to know the site and our members, if you hang around you're likely to meet some folks with shared interests!  

9:34 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

Camped on Mt. Mitchell ... Klingmans' Dome (Tenn). 

I'm curious, when and where did you camp on Clingman's? Because camping on Clingman's is prohibited and illegal.

11:11 a.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Would you believe in 1961 ???

50 years ago.

I recently (this past Autumn) 'celebrated' my 50th Anniversary of hiking the AT.

Was not able to hit the Trail in NC or Tenn, as I was in the Black Hills of SD for most of the late Autumn, early and mid Winter.   But, I did do a day-hike in the Rockfish Gap section.   What a difference there (in VA), coming from places like "The Badlands" (in SD).   The AT was like a "walk-in-the-park", in comparison. 

I'm trying to track down the guy that partnered with me.   He introduced me to the Southern AT, and The Smokies.   I know where he lives, and saw him briefly several years ago.   Reclusive.   No phone, no internet.

Apparently, MUCH has changed since then.

Back then, we saw NO ONE, other than a Park Service guy ... over the course of about a week.   We actually BIVY'd right ON the Trail itself.

Now, it (the AT) is like the Interstate.

Sooo ... YEAH !   I'm "UP" for a Winter adventure with the OP.    By now, I think  I know what I'm doing.   I don't get paid to suck at this.

In reality, I "pay" myself.   Proud to say I've never received ONE-CENT from a government agency, nor done some 'field exercise' under a grant, or some such.   Like most here, a "privateer".

~ r2 ~

6:33 p.m. on May 10, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Rone is a good one in the dead of winter,Black balsm knob and the area around it is great,I never plan a trip because i never when the snow is going to be coming down...

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply