Human waste disposal on the trail....

1:57 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well, I thought this was a worthy share/discussion for those out there that are not familiar with the different techniques to get your "left overs" off of the trails, etc so you don't negatively impact the lands that you travel:

http://www.opengate.org/access-fund-blog/2012/05/poop-waste-disposal-strategies-for-climbers.html

Not sure I would want to use rocks as natural toilet paper. I would think that sandstone might cause a bit of irritation...

Just sayin. ;)

2:28 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Yeah, we are just not like the "mountain men"of yore and are too danged soft for such environmentally "sensitive" ways of coping with our bodily functions,eh!

I do kinda wonder, tho', just how one disposes of the "used" sandstone.........  ;)

2:43 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

A good method is to carry the same kind of doggy poop bags one uses for thier pets and pick it up and throw in a trash can later.

2:44 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Yea,,And what if you grab for a used sandstone...:(

2:46 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

ComfortinCold said:

Yea,,And what if you grab for a used sandstone...:(

Or the wrong leaf(think 3s.) ;)

2:53 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

One night around the camp fire a companion waxed inebriatedly, if he had no paper he would “poop paperless.”  He described the technique as pulling one’s checks wide apart, then forcibly defecating, such that no external body parts were soiled.  TMI...  Maybe rocks aren’t so bad after all.

Ed

3:23 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Thanks for the lovey imagery, Ed.

I know a lot of people don't bother packing out their crap, but at places like Kilimanjaro, once you step off trail all you see is little piles of poop everywhere. Kind of ruins the scenery.

Carrying a trowel is a nuisance, but it's better than that.

3:33 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

according to that dog you just need to take a little piece of carpet

3:55 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I can just see my g/f"s face as i cut a strip from the living room floor long enough for me to drag my woohoo across..

4:15 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

Oh goodie, a chance to plug one of our own articles:

Human Waste Disposal in the Backcountry: How to pee and poop in the woods

It's a highly recommended read.

4:32 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This is why I love you guys. :D

4:35 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

Oh goodie, a chance to plug one of our own articles:

Human Waste Disposal in the Backcountry: How to pee and poop in the woods

It's a highly recommended read.

:)

4:39 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Better watch out for the dive bomb of the now rare Mud Falcon. 

;)

5:18 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

When I was in climbing school, I was forewarned to beware the dreaded "brown falcons" and "golden showers" from above, and not be surprised what my fingers and hands might encounter when grabbing a ledge.

Hmmm ....

~ r2 ~

5:26 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Smooth rocks, smooth debarked branches, a poop only bandana (stored in a ziploc till washed), soft blades of grass all work well.

6:47 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

I carry a small & very light plastic trowel.

I also carry TP. Here where I live if you run out of TP you can use dampened Spanish Moss, works like a charm.

The dog in the video above looks like it may need to have it's anal glands expressed. I had to do that to my dog once, I will spare you guys the details.

Mike G.

9:53 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Then of course, there is the LNT way:

http://www.leavenotracedude.com/waste-disposal.shtml

12:39 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

trouthunter said:

The dog in the video above looks like it may need to have it's anal glands expressed. I had to do that to my dog once, I will spare you guys the details.

Mike G.

Oh, that poochie is fine. He just opted for leaves instead of sandstone. Too bad he used the poison oak. ;)

1:04 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Yea, I'm going to go out on a limb (seems there are a lot of limb's on my tree  ;-}>)  here, but on my last outing I tried to carry out my poop (and poop by any other name is still poop) as well as my dog's poop, and I really was good at paying attention to Mough.  They, my camping buddies,  would have none of it and I had to leave it behind.

Not very LNT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but after all,  it was rather poopie........................

4:57 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
709 reviewer rep
677 forum posts

Snow, molded into a crest to give a good anatomical fit, gives a very clean wipe. Takes some getting used to, though.

After spending a good six weeks on a field course in Glacier Bay, I thought about writing a paper for the Journal of Irreproducible Results tentatively titled "Field tests of some Glacier Bay plants for use in personal hygiene". Participants would be asked to score the leaves of different species according to different criteria, such as "Coverage area" and "Smoothness of wipe", to be followed up with a full multivariate analysis. As I recall, one of the willow species was an easy favorite, big leaves covered with a nice, absorbent fuzz. Charmin'!

7:20 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

f_klock said:

Then of course, there is the LNT way:

http://www.leavenotracedude.com/waste-disposal.shtml

This one about says it all---

dispose-waste.jpg

7:29 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Heck I prefer to put on my monkey mask and hide in the bushes awaiting the next hiker and proceed to fling with a great furocity.

Or I sometimes dig a hole

8:29 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

One night around the camp fire a companion waxed inebriatedly, if he had no paper he would “poop paperless.”  He described the technique as pulling one’s checks wide apart, then forcibly defecating, such that no external body parts were soiled.  TMI...  Maybe rocks aren’t so bad after all.

Ed

AKA, "The power dump." A handy and widely used method at Montana state in my day. When the previous nights beer drinking would catch up to you in the middle of a very important lecture. The brand of beer you imbibed would play a part in the success of this method, hence Bud mud. Definitely not recommended if you were at a cheese tasting previously.

10:05 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Tipi Walter said:

dispose-waste.jpg

Everest, I assume? The litter up there even includes the bodies of a number of lost climbers. Wasn't it Mallory they found recently?

10:29 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

At first I thought this thread was going to be about how to dispose of meth head's bodies that assaulted you on the trail. :)

I use a trowel and flushable wet wipes.  Pack out the wet wipes.

Yeah, we are just not like the "mountain men"of yore and are too danged soft for such environmentally "sensitive" ways of coping with our bodily functions,eh!

Somehow I think that very little of their kit (maybe a sears catalog) would be devoted to waste disposal.

12:22 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

MoZee said:

whomeworry said:

Ed

AKA, "The power dump." A handy and widely used method at Montana state in my day. When the previous nights beer drinking would catch up to you in the middle of a very important lecture. The brand of beer you imbibed would play a part in the success of this method, hence Bud mud. Definitely not recommended if you were at a cheese tasting previously.

Okay, okay, I waited a couple days to see how this thread would "degenerate" and feel it's now appropriate to include some excepts from my 2008 trip reports on The Turd Diaries.  An introduction:

A NECESSARY ADDITION TO THE TURD REPORTS---No one should start a thread on outdoor waste disposal without expecting a full report containing actual Turtlehead trail notes kept by Uncle Fungus---from the 2008 Journals.

TURTLEHEADS

ARCTIC MIDWIFERY
    It takes a special breed of individual to strip half naked and to birth a mean and angry turtlehead into the snowy and frozen ground of a high mountain bald. Few are called, all must squat. Young Nanook was conceived from a meal I ate two days ago and after a 48 hour gestation was birthed using the Tundra Method: Slap him down on the snow and run like hell.
    A true tundra baby will quickly form an igloo of stool and in several minutes will be as frozen as the snow around him. Ah, but yesterday I dug an unused hole so today Young Nanook's nursery was already prepared for immediate usage. Shunka The Dog as a carnivore would've eaten Young Nanook but he was across camp and I had Nanook buried quickly before Shunka's approaching breakfast.

POST PARTUM GLEE
    Many people get post birth depression, but not me, the last thing I think about after squatting to release a young turtlehead is suicide, in fact, each birth makes me want to live that much more. So let's hear it for the humble turtlehead and though it gives its life smothered and buried, it allows us to go forward into the bright light of a new day, etc.

TURTLEHEAD REPORT
    (Those easily offended should turn away). I went outside in the unstrung boots(still frozen)and squatted by the tent and birthed a healthy turtlehead atop the surface of the snow where it will remain until tomorrow when I'll have time to dig a proper hole and transport it in one frozen brick balanced on two sticks. As long as I don't step outside and get turtle-crocked(in my crocs), I'll be okay. Or maybe Shunka will find it and feast.

THE VIOLENT TURTLEHEAD
    So wouldn't you know it but the first order of business after setting up the tent was to go off the ridge a bit and scrape out a hole to homebirth an angry and violent turtlehead. This newborn came in at 6.8 pounds, feisty with a fully functioning arm and hand as it reached out and tripped me up as I was walking away. And I heard a muffled chortle right before I fell.

THE FROZEN TURTLEHEAD
    The normal non-Inuit turtlehead hates winter backpacking and the backpackers who do it, because since they regularly go from 100 degrees to zero(atop snow no less)in about one nano(nanal?)second--they hardly have time to survey their new kingdom before they are frozen solid. A completely frozen turtlehead though still lives and woe be to the idiot who picks up what seems to be a hard, solid woodlike object only later to find it to be, when thawed, a steaming, angry and pissed off human turd.

It's not a reptile, a frisbee or a polished chunk of knotwood, it's now a breathing, pulsating, unburied turtlehead, the worst kind. If discovered, drop immeditately and call no one. Never shove soiled hands down into pants as the smell of a foreign turtlehead will elicit your own yet-unborn turtlehead to emerge from hiding to investigate in fighting form and possibly wanting intimate congress or abruptly posturing itself in a fight or flight response. If you have an alpha turtlehead buried in your shorts, be prepared for an all out fight to the death.
    On the other hand, the flight reponse will drive your own turtlehead deeper and higher into your body, possibly up into your chest cavity or throat. Good luck. All this can be avoided by not backpacking in the winter, and if you do pick up a frozen turtlehead by mistake, don't be around when it thaws.  I've been out too long.

TO SHOVE OR NOT TO SHOVE
      There's nothing as disturbing and yet as fulfilling as having to birth a combative and hysterical turtlehead into a cold morning snow and then having it look back at you with it's mournful brown eyes pleading to be reinserted and not left to freeze and be buried in a colon-less world. It takes a strong man to walk away from his own progeny and to become a dead beat Dad(dung-beat Dad?), and yet to placate, raise, retain and nurture one's own turd leads to distention, fecal impaction, severe lethargy and eventual unconsciousness. Better to have shoved and lost than to never have shoved at all.

THE PEE BRIGADE
    There's a big bright moon over my left shoulder as I emerge from a cold tent to go out and unfurl the old freak flag and see who salutes(pee). A small group of nearby ants quickly stood in a tiny line and did a quick pass-in-review ceremony in honor of my 7th day urine flow. In the old days when I had a glistening healthy bladder tied to a fire engine-sized urethra-hose, I could get a whole series of ants and other insects to stand in formation and pay homage to what they called the Yellow Horde.  Ruffles and flourishes, etc.

As soon as they noticed the emergence and the flopping out of my silk-clad nematode, they'd pull up and wait with rapt attention as my morning effluvia graced their little sylvan world. Now, with a nematode more like a dripping kitchen faucet, most highly trained army ants won't have anything to do with my morning reveille.

One time I was so popular with an ant pee brigade that after my morning ceremony a sPeecial Forces group of carpenter ants actually carried me slowly back to my tent like a million workers building the Pyramids. To us the pee stream is waste and effluent, pure and simple, but to the Ant Kingdom it's liquid gold. To say to someone, "You're an Ant!" might be a nasty quip, but to the 6 legged insects they hear Urine Ant, the highest compliment.

COMING NEXT:
    How to organize a dung beetle rally using your own emerging turtlehead.

FINAL INSTALLMENT:
    How I became a hero to butterflies using nothing but toe jam. (A fascinating account of human flight by a toe jam covered man carried in flight by over ten million butterflies).

THE PLAINTIVE CRY OF THE UNBOUND TURTLEHEAD
    A faint poking sensation got me up from my squat and told me to dig a birthing hole for the newest addition to our hiking entourage, a glistening yellow-brown specimen coming in at 7.8 pounds. Shunka and I welcomed the newborn with festive shouts and wipings and then immediately smothered and buried it without fanfare. My skin out weight is now 8 lbs lighter. I basically gave birth to a 4 season tent, and if it wasn't for Shunka pulling out the back end of it with his teeth, it would still be half lodged in a failing-to-fully-dialate bunghole.

Backpackers must speak of such things as they regularly deal with pulsating turtleheads on a near daily basis and so any dayhikers reading this will find it offensive but they are a pitiful bunch who have no relationship whatsoever with their spurned and frightful offal offspring. Dayhikers dump a load at home before they leave and then dump their next after they get home, so how in Thor's name would they know anything about the joys and sorrows of birthing a turd out in the wild? Thank god therefore for this journal as it informs clueless dayhikers that yes, it's possible to drop stool in the woods and not leave a pile with toilet paper next to their cars (or at a trailhead next to a creek).

THE PLAINTIVE CALL OF THE MORNING TURTLEHEAD
    What began as a mere urination became a full-out struggle to birth a long festering turtlehead onto the side of Bob's mountain. Sharp contractions followed by a bursting urine bag heralded the first crowning of a 7.4 pound turtlehead and with Shunka acting as my midwife nurse(mid-dog?), we managed to expel a Kimodo Dragon-sized reptile into the dug hole atop the ridge. Afterwards a naming ceremony occurred and a swaddling in dirt brought a newborn turtlehead into a turd-hating world.
    After cleaning the area with alcohol(?), it was smothered and buried despite having a new name.

A PRIMER ON PEEING by Professor Uncle Fungus
    When a man's biological unit tells him to get up and scuttle the submarine(or clear the frat house, even it it's at 2:30 in the morning), he best be advised to debag and detent to service said unit. When the male bladder hears the call of nature(more like the crying grunt of a young newt), the man attached to said bladder had best get up to defrock the priest, de-bride the newlywed, laminate the end table, clear the eustacian tubes, lather down the war horse and pee!
    It's a simple process, really, the hard part is getting up off the pad and strapping on the headpiece . . . uh . . . headlamp. Unfurling the actual midnight worm from the bound codpiece and uncinching the blowhole happens more to gravity and the laws thereof(at my age)than due to any bladder-muscle pushing out said effluvium.
    Newbies take careful note so when it's your turn to uncage the green mamba, you'll have an adequate amount of forewarning and skill given to you by Uncle Fungus in this short field report. On the other hand, when birthing an angry and hot turtlehead, it's every man for himself and what mishap, accident or surgery results from such birthing is beyond the scope of this short essay. I can only take your horse to water, you must yourself get it to pee(?). 

12:36 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

peter1955 said:

Tipi Walter said:

dispose-waste.jpg

Everest, I assume? The litter up there even includes the bodies of a number of lost climbers. Wasn't it Mallory they found recently?

Peter here is a link that I posted a bit back in regards to the clean up effort for Everest.

http://climbing.about.com/b/2011/04/06/eco-everest-expedition-to-continue-mt-everest-clean-up-effort.htm

12:44 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I just smear the poo onto the wooden trail signs I see along my route.

Makes 'em look brand new and the letters routed into the wood are then easier to read.

12:51 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

tipi, I got to say I laughed pretty hard on the "turtlehead trilogy." Funny stuff man. 

Kinda odd, I can actually relate. :p

1:29 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
3:25 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

I have read about creating a poop pipe -- take a 3" pipe about 2' long, and cap it. Then do your business on a coffee filter, and layer the uses in the pipe. Use a fixed cap on one end, and lid on the other. It's supposed to be LNT, reasonably light weight, and easy to empty on return to civilization.

I just haven't had the nerve to try it out...

5:06 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

peter1955 said:

Tipi Walter said:

dispose-waste.jpg

Peter here is a link that I posted a bit back in regards to the clean up effort for Everest.

http://climbing.about.com/b/2011/04/06/eco-everest-expedition-to-continue-mt-everest-clean-up-effort.htm

I like Stewart Green's quote in the article you cited:

"Since New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay did the first ascent of Mount Everest in 1953, over 3,000 climbers have ascended the great peak. At Everest Base Camp and along the popular South Col Route, all these climbers have left piles of garbage, including oxygen bottles, tents, ropes, human waste, and even bodies, rather than bringing down their trash."

Says something about the ethic of climbing, perhaps.  26,000 lbs of garbage?  660 lbs of human waste.  It makes me wonder about all the other big mountains and what's left behind.  Mountaineers, chime in.

5:14 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

tipi, as I said on that thread that I posted this on:

"It seems to me that alot of the guide services are more concerned with the preservation of their pockets and not the preservation of the mountain itself." 

Here is the thread if ya missed it:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/climbing/topics/98575.html

6:06 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I have read about creating a poop pipe -- take a 3" pipe about 2' long, and cap it. Then do your business on a coffee filter, and layer the uses in the pipe. Use a fixed cap on one end, and lid on the other. It's supposed to be LNT, reasonably light weight, and easy to empty on return to civilization.

I just haven't had the nerve to try it out...

Huh, That's a good idea though I don't guess that many would be willing to carry the weight of the pipe. So I guess they would be rated in size by how many inches of storage space you need per day. Food in.............Food out

7:05 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I am not too keen on calling the corpses of human climbers who died attempting Everest, even now, among the most demanding personal achievements a person can accomplish, ...litter....

It seems very disrespectful to me and in my former occupation, quite a number of my friends and colleagues were killed in the line of duty and such demeaning attitudes depress me.

When, a highschool friend, whom you helped join the Forest Service,dies before he hits 40, burning alive in the wreckage of a crashed 206, it gives you a certain perspective on human death and remains that seems to be lacking in our society now.

In any event, the mess shown is simply hideous and reminds me of so many campsites in the BC and Alberta wilderness that we would have to clean up every spring while grumbling about "tourists" and "gorbies" who would defile the very beauty they supposedly came to admire and enjoy......humans are funny animals and not always what they might be.........

8:53 a.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Sir Tipi, I really think you should get "the green mamba" checked, you do know that it should not be green right??!! 

A the joys of the midnight pee!  Or the 3am pee, or the 5am pee, or all three in a night....  Great fun getting old! 

I will say that the composting toilets on the WCT were by far the best outhouses I have ever had the joy of sitting on!  The morning ritual was very enjoyable, to bad I did not bring some reading material!! 

:D

11:00 a.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

"A the joys of the midnight pee!  Or the 3am pee, or the 5am pee, or all three in a night....  Great fun getting old!"

See your Endocronologist.  A daily low dosage (5 mg) of Cialis will take care of that.

1:22 p.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

Never have I read such eloquent prose regarding the minutia of backcounty waste disposal; good on you, Tipi.

2:26 p.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

pillowthread said:

Never have I read such eloquent prose regarding the minutia of backcounty waste disposal; good on you, Tipi.

Sadly, that's just a fraction of the crap I've penned regarding the unelusive turtlehead. 

6:32 p.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Dewey said:

I am not too keen on calling the corpses of human climbers..  ...litter....

I concur.

Far and away the most thought provoking, doleful, experience of my life was my first experience viewing one of the corpses forever residing on Denali.  You could almost sense their last breath loitering, touching you gently, whispering in the hissing snow, remember me.

We all desire to visit, but almost no one wants to be left behind, not under those circumstances.  It is fair to question the sanity of climbing into such danger, or the disregard manifest in the flotsam of past expeditions, but it is just wrong to besmerch any lost soul as litter.

Ed

5:34 a.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
709 reviewer rep
677 forum posts

One of our household's favorite bits of toilet reading is the timeless tome by Joe Lindsay entitled "Up Shit Creek: A Collection of Horrifyingly True Wilderness Toilet Misadventures". Actually it's quite small and light and so eminently backpackable, and I suppose suitable for reading aloud to those who can tolerate the truth. All the tales originate from river rafting trips, wherein the waste is locked in airtight ammo boxes (or variations thereon), a.k.a. rocket boxes or "groovers" due to the unmistakable marks some early models left on the back of users' thighs. Just try to image when a pressure tight (with limits) box full of turds is lefet forgotten and baking in the Utah sun for an indefinite period...

An appendix in the book contains a list of euphemisms that augment Tipi's repertoire, including the rather uncomfortable "I gotta drop the kids off at the pool.."

Finally, two of my favorites for peeing:

"I gotta shake hands with the governor!"

and:

"I gotta drain the pickle."

The latter I picked up many years ago from a book about Chesapeake Bay crab fishermen (Beautiful Swimmers, by William Warner, as I recall), a tacitiurn lot if there ever was one. The gentlemen who uttered the suggestive statement arose to pull the bung on a cask of pickled herring to be used as crab bait. The author of the book offered no further comment, but, hey....

5:40 a.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
709 reviewer rep
677 forum posts

One more thing... A friend of mine likes to recount a little prank she pulled in an all girls dormitory during her first year in college. She went into the bathroom, plugged one of the sinks with a wad of toilet paper, filled it to the brim, then floated a deformed Baby Ruth bar in it. She rounded up all the girls on the floor and worked them into a hysteria by claiming that some frat boys had snuck in and taken a dump in the sink. Once she had the shrieking crowd gathered around the sink to examine the offending object, she accused them all of being a bunch of weenies, then to prove the point plucked it up barehanded and took a bite out of it...

2:42 p.m. on May 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Dig a cathole. It ain't rocket science.

2:27 a.m. on May 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
392 forum posts

Isn't there a multi-starch bag+fungi system that the military uses?  The company that developed it is doing quite well from I hear.  Getting into the hunter and hiking markets.  And then some other fungus eats the bi-product, etc.  They're going to find a fungus for eating everything (if they don't destroy the forests before we get to them).

8:04 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

This is something that does not go in my garbage bag to pack out.

I use the cathole method, located where people are not likely to step, the hole not deeper than the layer of soil where microbes live. If there is no topsoil like that... what?

If I found myself in that situation, I would use an OPSak to pack it out.

I read that smearing poop is acceptable. Not to me, it isn't.

In the Arizona desert, I stopped at the Forest Ranger HQ to ask if my small EcoSafe Boom Box for kayaking was acceptable. The ranger was so happy he showed me abandoned cabins and hot springs on the map.

It works with RV pump out stations.

The seat is not really necessary.

There is also a DIY/MYOG smaller version of the concept here.

I have seen wag bags for sale online, also doggy doo bags.

What do you do with that? It shouldn't go in an ordinary trash barrel.

I did see a separate trash barrel labeled for dog poo bags at Chicken Ranch Beach on Tomales Bay near Inverness, CA. That beach even had the bags and plastic gloves in a dispenser.

There was a sign it was maintained by a community organization.

I thought that was considerate.

10:05 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Tipi, your turtlehead monologue was a gut bustin, tear jerkin, hoot. Had to stop and catch my breath a couple times. Shunka, ahhhhhh, he sounds like a good dog. "still cracking up a little".

1:45 a.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Just read an article that a guy in Ontario Canada tried to do the right thing by using the "OutHouse" and got dragged out by a Black Bear,  Oops he was enjoying the view and left the door open.

1:54 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Tipi, MoZee,

Maybe that is the reason for hiking with dogs?

2:18 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Even the ancient peoples lived by the cathole rule:

Deuteronomy 23:14 says -- You shall keep a trowel in your equipment and, when you go outside to relieve yourself, you shall dig a hole with it and then cover up your excrement.

Guess it's a time-honored, effective technique :)

5:05 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
581 forum posts

Deut. 23:12 is also important.

Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou shalt go forth abroad:

In other words, you went some distance from the camp - to a pre-designated place - dug a hole, defecated, and then covered it with dirt.

Thousands of years later, these are still good instructions.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply