Bivy sacks

10:25 p.m. on September 15, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm looking to purchase a bivy sack and need some input. I am shopping on line and can't see the products. Quality and function are my highest priorities. What bivy would you use with a down bag? What materials are the most breathable and waterproof? Which bag design is the best for rainy conditions? Is there one company that outshines all others? My choices so far are: Mountain hardware - Ethereal Bivy with XCR goretex. And Integral Designs - South col bivy.
Thanks for your help.

12:08 a.m. on September 16, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jason Phelps

Personally I'd hate to be stuck inside either of these bivy sacks in the rain - the condensation could simply be too much and that down bag would wilt on you. Consider a MH solitude or tri-light. For cold weather conditions, the MH conduit sl bivy is cheap, good quality and fairly water resistant and breathable, not to mention light.

Quote:

I'm looking to purchase a bivy sack and need some input. I am shopping on line and can't see the products. Quality and function are my highest priorities. What bivy would you use with a down bag? What materials are the most breathable and waterproof? Which bag design is the best for rainy conditions? Is there one company that outshines all others? My choices so far are: Mountain hardware - Ethereal Bivy with XCR goretex. And Integral Designs - South col bivy.
Thanks for your help.

12:02 p.m. on September 16, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

A down bag, rain and a bivy sack are a dangerous combination. Bivys can be waterproof but you still won't be able to stay dry if it is raining and you want to get in it or out of the thing. IMHO a down bag is a risky way to save a pound or two on any trip in non summer conditions.

10:32 p.m. on September 16, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

If I expect rain (which is to say any given day!) I'll take along a lightweight tarp (transparent painters drop sheet from Home Depot $2.), and 30' of para-cord.
Clear tarp alows you protection from rain, as well as a clear veiw of stars (if not rain-covered)

10:33 p.m. on September 16, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

If I expect rain (which is to say any given day!) I'll take along a lightweight tarp (transparent painters drop sheet from Home Depot $2.), and 30' of para-cord.
Clear tarp alows you protection from rain, as well as a clear veiw of stars (if not rain-covered)

Put this OVER your bivy

3:03 p.m. on September 18, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Really think if you want a bivy with all those features that add weight and get it close to the ultra light 1 man tent catgory. the hardware bivy looks comfy and spacious, but it is heavier than most. Otherwise try and find a simple lightweight sack. OR's sacks and Integral Designs always seem to have a happy sack following. Backpacker.com just did a rating of several sacks. I have a moonstone personal shelter that i am pretty happy with. Simple and light, though the mesh does sit in your face One thing to keep in mind is that while usually double the price an all wp breathable bag won't suffer from as much condensation if you get it turned around while you're sleeping.

as to your specific q's:
down bag?
anything that doesn't leak much and has any gore 3ply preferably xcr. i don't think anyone makes a gore paclite sack.

10:36 a.m. on September 19, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

ID Endurance

I have the Integral Designs Endurance bivy. Made from Endurance Pertex fabric. Seam taped. No fancy poles or zippers, just slide your bag in and get in. Has a draw string to close up the opening. I would want a small tarp over my head if i were in a downpour. But, because the whole thing is breathable and waterproof, i have just flip upside down and keep the hood area over me and that works great for sustained rain.

Got mine for $58 at Wilderness Exchange in Denver.

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

9:29 p.m. on September 19, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Yegor Fefelov
bibler bivi?

Hey, concerning bivis. I was looking for one not long ago and wound up looking at Bibler bivis. If you are looking on quality, high perfomance bivi - maybe you should look at it. What i liked about it is - light (pound or so), simple design, little seams, completely seam-taped, roomy, very unique fabric, quality guranteed. As i browsed through their site, i liked the concept of seam taping. God Bless,
yegor
(http://bibler.com)

7:12 p.m. on September 21, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

The North Face Soloist sure is a nice bivy! Got mine on sale for 1/3rd off the original price. You should check out REI-Outlet; saw on their site a few days ago, the Moonstone Nada Tent for $100 bucks!!! That's a damn good deal for what you would be getting (Nada Tent is very similar in design to the Soloist). Came very close to buying one of the Nada's, but don't need two bivy sacks.

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

6:33 p.m. on September 23, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Warren Stevens

I've used an OR advanced (the one pole design) for about 6 years now. Very happy with it, I'd be hard pressed to go with another brand if and when this one wears out. I combine it with a either a silnylon tarp or a megamid and use it 4 season. I've used it with down and non down bags. Condensation does form on the inside - around the toe for me. Not much a problem for me so far, but the down does lose some loft over multiple days. I have been caught in a cloud and in such high humidity you are exposed to it in this sort of setup. In that case drying during a lunch break did fine

When using the bivy, I bring a heavier bag than I would in a tent, to compensate for loss of loft and more so as the bivy supplies less wind protection than a tent.

When using a down bag, I make sure my insulation layers are synthetic.

9:51 p.m. on September 26, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Stay away from Gore-Tex

There is a reason why single wall tents are not made from Gore-tex. Even the new XCR stuff. It does not breath enough. Bibler's bivies are bomb-proof. Integeral Design bags breath well. OR bags are steller. People rave about North Face stuff but I think everything they make is crap. Just my call. If you really want to use a down bag and expect rain, you must bring a small tarp to stay dry. Otherwise winter use anything will do fine. Even Mountain Hardware's Conduit bivy would be more than adequate.

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

1:00 p.m. on October 6, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Stay away from Gore-Tex

Bibler uses Toddtex, Integral Designs uses Tegraltex. They are the same, both are PTFE. Gore Tex is PTFE. OR uses Gore Tex.

Therefore, they all breath equally bad or good.

Quote:

There is a reason why single wall tents are not made from Gore-tex. Even the new XCR stuff. It does not breath enough. Bibler's bivies are bomb-proof. Integeral Design bags breath well. OR bags are steller. People rave about North Face stuff but I think everything they make is crap. Just my call. If you really want to use a down bag and expect rain, you must bring a small tarp to stay dry. Otherwise winter use anything will do fine. Even Mountain Hardware's Conduit bivy would be more than adequate.

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

12:08 p.m. on November 22, 2001 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Quote:

12:24 p.m. on November 22, 2001 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Regarding adequate breathability of Gore-Tex for bivi bags, here's my experience.
Over twenty 20 years ago (when Gore-Tex could be bought in a few fabric stores) I sewed up a bivi bag with G-tex on top, coated nylon below and that also wrapped around the an extra long foot section (18" or so). The idea was to have that extra length for storing ropes,etc. where I would not need the breathability.
Well, if I used the bivi and my sleeping bag slid down under into that coated nylon area that would be a definite line with condensation on the bag. Eventually I cut off the coated nylon storage space.
The Gore-tex top has worked great for over 20 years, no problems with breathability.

Quote:

5:27 p.m. on January 24, 2002 (EST)

I own a Bibler I-Tent,an Integral Designs Unishelter,and an Outdoor Research Advanced Double Bivy{which I've never used,I'm saving it for the post-appocalypse,so I hope it's good!}Todd and Tegral - Tex both have a Nexus backing, a sort of fuzzy linung to collect and disperse moisture vapour condensation, the Gore-Tex{OR} does not.So I think there's more to the fabrics than just the "BREATH-ability"- some are trying to improve on vapour-transport as well.{which is a good idea in a tent or bivy which you are likely to actually be breathing into,Nexus is uneccessairy in a waterproof-breathable jacket or pants,because you're still exhailing outside of them}Nexus does add weight and bulk and I wonder if it might only serve to hold condensation against one's sleeping bag,-but the idea seems to make sense-but maybe a no-Nexus {lighter,smaller}properly ventilated bivy would be more efficient.Maybe Nexus actually somehow impedes breathability.I love my I-Tent and Unishelter,both work very well.{I get some condensation,but nothing I couldn't handle}I think I loved my OR double bivy most of all so I decided to save it for the hard times{just me and my dog}I therefor can't compare it's un-Nexus-ness to the other fabrics,{remember, to do a proper comparison the environmental conditions -temperature,humidity,wind,rain-would have to be identical!}-check with me again in the grim-future-time{I must say I do like the idea of mountain hardware's Ethereal Gore-Tex XCR bivy!} -my thanx- -death_bringah@yahoo.com

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply