Bad news from Yellowstone...

1:57 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

18yr old female loses life on her 1st day on the job at Yellowstone. This is really sad.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/09/12136060-yellowstone-worker-18-falls-to-death-first-day-on-the-job?lite

4:34 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

sad - yes, off trail - yes

1:37 a.m. on June 10, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,242 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Oh, dear. :(  My heart goes out to her family and friends...

6:36 p.m. on June 10, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,114 forum posts

That is way too bad, I have worked in many national parks over the year. The worst I ever heard about was 3 young hikers who after swimming in a backcountry Yellowstone warm spring, were hiking back to the lodge and got cold so they all jumped into a hot spring they came across. The girl survived with 80% burns on her body, the other two were guys and one died immediately and the other a short time later.

10:26 a.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,492 forum posts

This is awful. I know I have done the same sort of thing at the Grand Canyon. Not really smart. At all.

12:50 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

The title is a bit misleading. It sounds like she died in the course of her new job, but it says she was actually working for a concession company, which suggests she died on her own time.

One would hope that professional hiking guides would be more aware of the dangers.

Still, very sad, of course.

4:43 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,290 forum posts

i was in that area with my family last summer.  the heavily-traveled overlooks adjacent to the yellowstone grand canyon are well-marked and have decent sized walls to keep tourists safe.  the very easy trails we walked adjacent to the rim aren't so close that you would necessarily think about falling, though i did tell my kids to stick to the trail and stay close, mostly for wildlife-related reasons.   

for what it's worth, the known hazards in yellowstone are primarily wildlife, altitude, and the risk of getting burned from the hot springs.  i guess falls would be kind of self-evident depending on your location near a very, very deep chasm, but having a seemingly stable boulder or ledge give way could happen to anyone, even highly-experienced climbers.  for example:

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/News/shownews1.lasso?l=2&keyid=37552

sad story. 

5:09 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Statistically, falling is the number 2 cause of fatalities in the US national parks. I note that another person also almost fell; she was sitting with her legs dangling over the edge. I guess you can't wall off everything.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply