Best Backcontry Fireworks Views

2:50 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,047 forum posts

I'll typically spend the night of the 4th in the woods somewhere, and I've seen some amazing fireworks shows from the tops of various mountains.  The worst was when a fog bank in Maine obscured what clearly sounded like a fantastic show.  Hearing the grand finale and not being able to see it was terrible!

Have you ever caught a great view of the fireworks from your camp? Where were you?

6:53 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Many years ago.....

I was camped with my wife in the woods on top of a bluff close enough to watch the fireworks at our local amusement park - Lake Winnepesaukah in Lakeview Georgia.

It was the only time I have ever woke up to chickens outside my tent.

I thought it was all kinda cool.

Mike G.

7:15 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Stealth camping on King Mountain in Gatineau Park, Quebec, Canada about fifteen years ago. I was able to watch about the fireworks from a dozen different townships and the Parliament Hill fireworks in Ottawa too; all at the same time. It was pretty darn cool indeed.

Cheers!

7:19 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,816 reviewer rep
1,309 forum posts

I have seen awesome fireworks shows from the Mt. Riga Lean to on the AT in CT on New Years and July 4th, and also at West Mountain Shelter(off the AT) in Harriman State Park, NY.

3:24 a.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

For those living in Los Angeles County:

Glendora Ridge Road
This road traverses along the crest of the front range of the San Gabriel Mountains above Eastern Los Angeles County.  On a clear day you gaze upon over ten million souls, thousands of square miles of urban and suburban Southern California, and the dozens upon dozens of firework displays.  On a clear night you can see the lights of Catalina Island over sixty miles away.  Glendora Ridge Road is accessed by one of three routes:  1) The road departs from Mt Baldy Road, in Baldy Village; 2), accessed from the city of Glendora, via Valley Center Avenue, then taking Glendora Mountain Road to Glendora Ridge Road; 3) or via the interior of San Gabriel Canyon, taking East Fork Road off Route 39, to Glendora Mountain Road, which then leads to Glendora Ridge Road.

The equestrian trail offTurnbull Canyon Road
This vista is located about twenty miles East by Southeast from LA City Hall, along the southern edge of the San Gabriel Valley. Turnbull Canyon Road travels over the western aspect of the Diamond Bar Hills, and connects the town of Hacienda Heights to the city of Whittier.  This portion of the Diamond Bar Hills (known locally as Friendly Hills) is a wildlife island surrounded by the sprawl of LA County. Turnbull Canyon Road is accessed from either Hacienda Heights or Whittier.  Drive to the road’s crest.  Find the gated trail on the south side of the road, just short of the road crest.  Follow this trail 1/4 mile to the hill crest, at 1200’ above sea level.  The view of the city lights from here is one of the most spectacular to be found anywhere.  You are surrounded by all of Los Angeles County, high enough to see it all, yet far enough removed to be quiet.  On a full moon night you can see the silhouettes of the Channel Islands against the Pacific, and scores of firework displays.  While some may argue these hills are not true wilderness, they do host several permanent packs of coyotes and a healthy deer population.  The eastern aspects of the Diamond Bar Hills are host to the occasional mountain lion straying from adjacent wild life corridors, further east.  These hills are a true ecosystem, cut off from their surroundings.  In fact the mice population has been isolated for so many generations, that it is prized among the scientific community for its unique and highly pedigreed genome.

Ed

11:29 a.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

Here in Jackson Hole WY the fireworks have been cancelled due to fire restrictions.

6:53 p.m. on July 3, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,232 forum posts

Got a pretty good view of some at Lunch Counter on Mt Adams.  Being 7,000 feet higher than the fireworks made them look kinda puny though.  I like them better up close.

3:19 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I was in Jasper on the Canada Day weekend (July 1st) but because it doesn't get really dark here until around 11:00 the fireworks didn't start until 11:15! By then I was fast asleep.

7:17 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

We used to do them out on Baker Lake when I was a kid....(breakin the law breakin the law) they were little but fir a kid really fun and it was not in the city!

3:31 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

There are a couple places near Chattanooga in the Prentice Cooper NF you can sit on cliffs high above the river and city below and watch the fireworks. 

I wanted to go to one of those spots this year, but it didn't work out. And it was still crazy hot and humid. Blech. 

5:33 p.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

TJCeeJay said:

Stealth camping on King Mountain in Gatineau Park...

Where did you camp? I grew up around there, and while there's a lot of dense bush, the park is patrolled pretty well.

But. yeah, the view of the whole Ottawa Valley is great from there (400 ft elevation?) and the government always pops some serious money for the best fireworks.

12:49 p.m. on July 21, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,143 forum posts

I was backpacking on the 4th of July this year near Mt Lassen and pleased to see no fireworks and no sound but the wind.  We watched shooting stars.

Every outdoors person needs to see the Northern Lights some time in their lives.  The further North the better, and the cold weather helps.  My personal best show was north of Fairbanks, AK near Fox one Sept night.  I got up to pee and saw the show.  I woke up my buddy and we drank beer and watched for 4 hours.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply