About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Home-made Bear Cannisters

8:41 a.m. on July 11, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. cavemon

Does anyone have any ideas OR has had any success in fabricating a home-made bear cannister? I'm only, at this point, concerned w/ deterring black bears (in the East) not Grizzes. I've thought of 8" PVC piping material but, while I think it would be strong enough, it would be kind of heavy so I'm trying to source some material that is readily available, yet lighter than PVC. Thanks in advance and happy packin'.

12:51 a.m. on July 12, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Does anyone have any ideas OR has had any success in fabricating a home-made bear cannister?

If you have access to a mill and a lathe and a tig welder or a good dip braze vendor,I got all kinds of ideas...and programs too.

But unfortunately, a shop has already beat me to it and has ads for them in the back of all the outdoor rags...DARNIT!!

Another opportunity to make billions slips through my fingers...

4:32 a.m. on July 12, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

i really like the open mesh stuff sacks, they work real good
the bear can look inside and make his mind up if he or she wants another mountian house mac and cheese with beef. It also saves you clean up time if it dosent get tore down. No really the best thing to do is dont put your food the same place the everyone else is. once yogi finds food in the same place he will camp there.

7:40 a.m. on July 12, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Yo Mon,

Try some fiberglass cloth with an A/B resin and fabricate the can the same way they make lightweight aircraft. This stuff is bullet proof if you use a kevlar cloth. This will run some bucks, but heck, we have the technology.

Mike G.

11:21 a.m. on July 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Go to "Make you own gear forum"

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

Scroll down on the left panel and click onto this forum.
I saw a few related posting way down on the forum.
Good luck.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply