tents: are they ALL made in China?

10:07 a.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I shopped around a little and decided on the Eureka! Mountain Pass 1XT (formerly known as Zephyr XT), mostly because I like the "narrow dome" rectangle shape. I don't like the hoops -- I want to be able to sit up inside. The 1XT is made in China, though, and several emails have turned up only one tent made elsewhere: an Eddie Bauer made in Bangladesh. Are there any other solo (or small 2 man) tents with at least 3' headroom that aren't made in China?

6:35 p.m. on July 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Rich

Are there any other solo (or small 2 man) tents with at least 3' headroom that aren't made in China?

Hilleberg tents are based in Sweden and made in Estonia. They are more expensive compared to Chinese tents, but superior to them in many ways. The materials used, quality and workmanship are worth the extra money in my opinion. In addition the stuffed size and weight is better. Great feedback from Hilleberg too.
RichB

4:33 a.m. on July 11, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

"American components, Russian components...all made in Taiwan!" (nm)

n/m

12:01 p.m. on July 11, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have a Eureka tent and it works well. What truly seperates it from its competitors is price. If money is no object there are better tents out there but those differences are minimal. What's wrong with China?

4:10 p.m. on July 12, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Sascha Bosetzky

I have the Hilleberg 'Nallo' and am really satisfied. It is only 2,3 kg and a great solo tent, that still offers a lot of space for two persons - only then the apsis gets cramped with the backpacks.
Hilleberg claims, that they can control the qualitiy of their tents best in Estonia, which just across the Baltic Sea from Sweden, than in far away China. They also say, that one worker makes one tent. Provided that that is true, in time of mass-production it would be a great exeception.

7:48 p.m. on July 26, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Eugene Colucci

Assuming you're primarily interested in double-wall tents, Hilleberg tents (http://www.hilleberg.com/) are not made in China as a couple other people already stated. Stephenson's tents still are made in the United States (http://www.warmlite.com/), and you still can get the US made Moss Outland (year 2000 model) at http://backcountry-equipment.com/tents/moss_outlandhooped.html .

Quote:

I shopped around a little and decided on the Eureka! Mountain Pass 1XT (formerly known as Zephyr XT), mostly because I like the "narrow dome" rectangle shape. I don't like the hoops -- I want to be able to sit up inside. The 1XT is made in China, though, and several emails have turned up only one tent made elsewhere: an Eddie Bauer made in Bangladesh. Are there any other solo (or small 2 man) tents with at least 3' headroom that aren't made in China?

5:50 p.m. on August 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Greatland tents

How good are greatland tents? I have not heard anything positive or negative about them? What tent do you recommend for a large, roomy, tent. We would like a couple of rooms to separate mom/dad from the kids, possibly with a screen room attached. We camp 3 seasons and it gets down to the 40's at some places?

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply