A sad "ending" for this SAR... searched called off for Sierra hiker

9:06 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I felt saddened reading this.  I'm not even sure to call it an "end", though apparently the SAR has been called off, because the guy hasn't been found yet.  I don't know him personally, but have read in a local forum (where he's a well known regular) that he's a very experienced  off-trail backpacker and mountaineer.

As I've read the various updates over the past couple weeks, they struck "close to home", as I hiked right thru the areas mentioned while on my JMT trip this summer.  I could just picture myself being there, but with the addition of some snow & colder weather.  Plus, around the same time he left for his trip, I was thinking of doing one of my own to finish off the season ... but didn't, in part because of the weather forecast.  I'm not experienced enough in those conditions for winter backpacking in the Sierra.

I guess there's still a chance he could be found alive, eh?

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Search-Ends-for-Hiker-Lost-in-the-Sierras.html

11:21 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I saw a few more posts about him on another site. Apparently he's experienced, but with the weather, who knows what happened.

11:28 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Yeah.  I keep thinking of that area (having been there not long ago, except I was on-trail, and it was summer), and what it must be like now with cold & snow ...  especially if he's stuck & hurt somewhere, or worse.  Yikes...

9:45 a.m. on November 4, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
511 forum posts

Hopefully he is just hunkered down somewhere and waiting for a break. Are there areas of great exposure along the route he took where a slip or disorientation can result in a fatal fall?

10:02 a.m. on November 4, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

From what I read it sounded like he would be bagging a peak, as well as going over major passes... So, yes, lots of exposure & drop offs...

2:25 p.m. on November 4, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Two weeks is a long time missing.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply