About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

ducks and stuff

4:24 p.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

nothing like a nice fall hike to enjoy a sunday.  temps climbed to 53 here!  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

and the payoff.....

image.jpg

4:59 p.m. on November 18, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

nice duckies...is that beer in a trailspace glass?

9:41 a.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

TJester, 

It is indeed, I have one as well :) 

They are sometimes included in the goody packages for the various competitions and drawings.

9:49 a.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

That's a nice looking pair o' mallards there.  Awesome scenery.

11:43 a.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

I hunted ducks when I was younger, but now enjoy their beauty best watching them alive.  Waterfowl is surprisingly common in Nevada especially in the spring and fall.  I will be fishing tomorrow on a mountain lake at about 5800 feet keeping an eye and ears open for loons that pass thru as migrants each spring and fall.

I was working for the BLM out of Spokane, WA one winter and we were driving along the Colombia River.  There was a wildlife biologist in the truck with me that had experience counting large populations of waterfowl.  We stopped at an overlook with a lot of geese, Snow, Ross, Canadians, Brandt, etc.  How many we all wanted to know.  After about 10 minutes, she announced " 400-500,000."  That is a lot of geese in one place.  I will never forget it.

3:34 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

That is Bell's Two Hearted Ale, and a half million is a LOT of geese in one place.

i once camped on an island off the coast of Nova Scotia.  ferried out on a small boat.  The island had once hosted a working lighthouse with a few outbuildings, all of which had been abandoned and looked like they had been empty for quite a while.  the only residents of the island were a large number of gulls, puffins and cormorants, and a lot of seals along the shore.  what i recall most was the racket all those birds made during the day.     

4:16 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

we have a crane that has staked out our back forty as his territory. I don't know where he came from, but he sure is cool. will try to get some pictures.

9:48 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

Those cormorants are nasty birds. They really put a hurt on the fish populations. Almost as nasty as the honey badger. Honey badger don't care, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2:20 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

The glasses look much better with a nice dark Stout or Porter though...

image.jpg

Nice shots leadbelly. Ducks are great photography subjects. I've got a collection going.

5:50 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

indeed.  humble suggestions: great lakes edmund fitzgerald porter and founders breakfast stout.  and if you have ready access to the brewery (i used to live about a mile from downtown Portsmouth), Kate the Great. 

7:41 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

been very busy lately but I must say this is a fantastic post leadbelly5220!

I can't help but be affected by the aesthetic allure of combining sky, river, rock, duck and beer!

Thanks for the notion!

11:25 a.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

indeed.  humble suggestions: great lakes edmund fitzgerald porter and founders breakfast stout.  and if you have ready access to the brewery (i used to live about a mile from downtown Portsmouth), Kate the Great. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Founders I know of, at least I've seen it in stores here. It's a Milk Stout no?

Great Lakes I don't think I have access to here but now I'll have to look. I love that song, so I'm pretty sure if Edmund Fitzgerald was on the shelves here I'd have noticed it.

Kate the Great, had to look it up on Ratebeer.com - Now your talkin my language. Imperial Russian is my favorite style. It rates well, now I'm going to have to make a journey... If I may suggest, if you like this style - North Coast Brewing - Old Rasputin. I hoard the stuff anytime I can get it.

12:59 p.m. on November 21, 2012 (EST)
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

founders breakfast stout is a coffee/oatmeal stout.  old rasputin - excellent.

stone russian imperial stout too. 

12:33 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

but what kind of decent darks can we get here in CA? just kidding...I don't drink.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply