Hikergirl!

7:06 a.m. on May 22, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hey,
Did you make it out last weekend on your inaugural trip? How'd it go?
Colin

4:06 p.m. on May 22, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: First Trip - No Go!

Quote:

Did you make it out last weekend on your inaugural trip? :

The old weatherman put a stop to it! Storms were headed in that direction for Saturday night and Sunday. We checked into the motel Friday afternoon, as planned (I was trying for a one-night backpacking trip for Saturday night). Kept watching the weather report and decided no way. We hiked into the area Saturday morning. It was a gorgeous day, hard to believe it would turn so bad that evening. I certainly did not want my first trip to be a soggy, miserable one.

I am now aiming for the second week in June.

Thanks for asking.

Hikergirl

6:11 a.m. on May 23, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
That is the best weather condition to test your gear and skills!

Nothing better than hanging in your hammock under your tarp, sipping your favorite spirits and enjoying being perfectly dry while it rains like hell.

4:11 p.m. on May 23, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: That is the best weather condition to test your gear and skills!

Didn't take a tarp, Ed. The hammock was with me though. A tarp is something I really should consider, but what kind? I haven't seen any lightweight tarps. I was thinking about using it over the tent and let it hang over the front a bit so I could cook under if need be.

I have done my share of camping in the rain believe me, but I just did not want to sit hovered in a darn tent all weekend.

6:23 a.m. on May 24, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
The tarp I use is made by Eureka.....

I believe it is 6' x 8' in size. It is made of coated taffeta nylon (just like a tent). It is very light - weighs about 9 oz. Campmor and others sell similar tarps.

With this type of "hootch" (tarp over hammock) you won't be stuck inside a tent. If your camping partner also sets up a similar hootch next to yours (making an "L" shape), you will have plenty of roof over both of you for cooking, moving around, etc.

Always line your sleeping bag stuff sack with a garbage bag and put the sleeping bag inside that. Put all items you don't want to get wet into zip lock freezer bags and then into your pack. Use a rain cover for your pack.

I put my clothes and sleeping bag in plastic every time I go camping, even if the sun is shining and little rain in the forecast. Rather be safe than sorry. Plastic weighs a lot less than water soaked items!

7:13 a.m. on May 24, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Take a look at this website if you can sew you can make your own. http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

Rabbitman

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply