Who's been nice?

12:03 p.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
161 forum posts

The National Park Service and USFS rangers, staff and volunteers who are unfailingly nice and helpful—often in the face of some of the very idiots we mentioned yesterday.  These are really good people, and don’t get the credit (or money) they deserve.  Remember those knuckleheads in DC?

Game wardens everywhere.  A thankless and dangerous job.  Thank you!

Outdoor writers who encourage everyone to get off their behind and out into the wonderful world.  And anyone else who does the same.

Hikers on the trail who offer help, guidance, encouragement, or even food and water to those who need it.  How nice is that?

And a shout out to those on the many backpacking message boards on the internet—who offer their time and expertise over and over again.  We love to read their trip reports, equipment reviews, trail advice, and clever solutions to the problems we all face.

Anyone who takes someone else hiking or backpacking.  Yeah, we worry about some of the campsites in the Sierra, and the traffic they get.  But the more people see these amazing places, the more they will vote to protect them.  And we need all the votes we can get!  This absolutely includes Boy and Girl Scout leaders, despite their organizational policies on sexual orientation.

Those who make trails we love to follow.  They always take us good places, and sometimes they are works of art.

And speakiing of following...how about those who follow all the rules!

Competent sales staff at outdoors stores—those who really try to give you good advice instead of just selling you whatever is latest, trendy, or overstocked.   They are becoming rarer every day, but they do exist.

Those wonderful and crazy people who are continually trying to find new ways, lighter materials, and multi-use equipment to lighten our loads in the back country.  Your ideas may be completely bizarre…but if they work, we are interested!

And yes, despite our comments yesterday, we also sometimes appreciate those who place a few small cairns to lead us out of the wilderness when we are wandering and wondering.   Sometimes, it‘s nice to know the route can be done…

2:12 p.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I'd like to add a bunch, too.

All the organizations that promote and lobby to protect the wilderness, like the Nature Conservancy, EcoJustice, LeaveNoTrace, the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Association, the Jasper Environmental Association and Wildsmart, the Interpretive Guides Association and the AMG/ACMG/IFMGA, and all the Alpine and Mountain Clubs around the world.

SAR Techs, (often unpaid volunteers) who get called out in the very worst weather at the most inconvenient times, to rescue the people who, for whatever reason, get lost or injured in the backcountry.

More volunteers - all the people who take a day or a weekend to get out and maintain the trails we all enjoy. People like Dieter Kepper, who with just his mountain bike and chainsaw made it his mission to cut the deadfalls off all the 1,000 km of trails in Jasper. All the people and the companies who donated material or money to help them all do it.

And a personal thanks to Hostels International, which provides inexpensive accomodation in the mountain parks. I sure couldn't afford to be out there every weekend if I had to pay hotel prices in a resort town!

2:27 p.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
161 forum posts

Great additions, Peter!

Could I add that to our comments page on the blog?  I would certainly give you credit...however you wish to be identified...

2:42 p.m. on December 19, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

balzaccom said:

Great additions, Peter!

Could I add that to our comments page on the blog?  I would certainly give you credit...however you wish to be identified...

Which blog? Does Trailspace have a blog? Or is this a private one?

Send PM.

8:55 a.m. on December 20, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
161 forum posts

We have a blog: backpackthesierra.com

It has tons of pages about our trips...

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply