Building a backyard quinzee

12:20 p.m. on January 10, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

www.wimp.com/backyardquinzee

A Quinzee is a igloo like winter shelter made by piling up snow then digging out the shelter from it instead of use of snow blocks. Works well in low snow accumulation area's.

The guy in this video link gets really elaborate with his being its in his backyard.

I used to build these as a kid in upstate New York long before I knew what they were called by others. I used them in the High Sierra too during my winter camping trip in Yosemite in Jan-May 1980.

Be sure if you build a fire  inside, like this fool does to have plenty of vents or you will be waking up dead!

5:39 p.m. on January 12, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

we used to make ours by piling snow on our backpacks, let it freeze for a few hours, then pull out the backpacks. saves alot of digging. not adviseable to have a fire inside one though.

7:54 a.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing that

I love the chairs

In the clip I saw, the fire pit was on his "front porch" and not inside.

10:13 a.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

That was pretty cool. Was he using those small sticks to determine the thickness? Thats what it looked like; as he was moving the around on the roof. Fire was def on the porch.

4:20 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Maybe the sticks were to make airholes when pulled out after completion?

5:37 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,348 reviewer rep
630 forum posts

The sticks are used to let you know when to stop digging out the inside. You break a bunch of sticks at about a foot to a foot and a half long. Space them evenly around the quinzee, then when your are digging it out you know when to stop so the walls arent too thin.

7:00 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Thats what I thought, he only used a few and moved them to the side he was diggin on.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply