About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

off to the white mountains

10:12 a.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

it's looking stormy for a few days, so we might be stuck below the tree line until sunday.  checked the snow tires, geared up, staying in what should be a fairly empty hut at 4300 feet - with floor grates to let air in, so it's chilly, but secure from the wind.  i'm getting psyched.  

11:06 a.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

The forecast has you kinda on the line between 6-12 and 12-24 inches of snow. The wind is supposed to be 35mph or so, sounds like a great time. You should start seeing the heavy snow during the night fri night. By late sat it should be gone and absolutely beautiful, have a great time and be careful. Im heading up mndk tmrw at lunch time, three of us are gonna camp in pumpelly cave for the storm. I cant wait, we have been waiting for a big storm on the weekend to do this for two years.

11:16 a.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Oh, I am really freaking jealous. I was dancing a jig over the only snow we've had down here this year, and it was only 2"!

Have an awesome time, and be safe my friend! 

11:22 a.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

I dont know what communication will be like with the storm, but if you need a weather report or anything just let me know. Its gonna be amazing up there!!!

11:43 a.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

what hut are you staying at that will be open at 4300 feet in winter??

11:51 a.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
1,669 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Be safe out there. I don't know what the forecast is up there, but down here in CT the forecast 18-24in definitely, 30+ highly probable in some high areas, and even 40+ is possible. Along with 50+mph winds.

Not sure i would want to be up an elevation if the storm is going to be anywhere near as strong as they claim it may be.

Make sure you have all the proper gear and enough food to sit tight for an extra several days in case conditions really deteriorate.

Have fun, but most importantly be safe.

12:03 p.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

Crag camp and grey knob, on adams. Randolph mountaineering club. Open year round.

We have the right gear - I try to do this annually. Hurricane-speed winds seem to follow us. This year might actually be easier. Steer clear of ravines with heavy snow, watch for white outs. We may bring snow pickets.

We have some extra food and fuel, but the exit is a fairly easy downhill, and Sunday looks to be spectacular.

7:08 p.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

enjoy! Crag camp is a more social and hut of mountain culture than Grey Knob.  i had a memorial night in Crag camp 40 years ago on a new years evening!  Sunday you should have some spectacular sights!  enjoy!

10:00 p.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,828 reviewer rep
260 forum posts

Take pictures and be safe!

8:09 a.m. on February 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Im packin for mndk now, just watched the weather and they say we have a chance at 30+ inches of snow. Be careful up in the whites, they are calling for hurricaine force winds tonight and tmrw morning. Gonna be amazing up there and in pumpelly cave for my group. Google pumpelly cave or megalithia to see where im goin, pretty interesting.

9:20 a.m. on February 8, 2013 (EST)
2,264 reviewer rep
1,247 forum posts

We turned around on the way up. Not because I'm concerned about the weather, which I fully understand and respect, but because I like being married and was getting mucho grief via text message. I will day hike and snowshoe in central Massachusetts instead. At least we should get a lot of snow there....

10:51 a.m. on February 8, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Sorry to hear that, but I can relate a bit :) 

My wife was all supportive and excited for me as I planned my solo jaunt in Wyoming a while back, but had a bit of freak out the night before I flew out. The timing was delightful ;) 

She was fine after talking it all through, giving her detailed plans and route map, numbers for my contacts and rangers out there, etc. 

Have a great time snowshoeing! 

12:06 p.m. on February 8, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

I guess you are talking New Hampshire. I am in Arizona where there are the White Mountain's near Show Low.

White-Mtns-AZ.jpg

They are also the headwaters of the Little Colorado River and contains Arizona's second highest mountain Mt Baldy.

See:

Welcome to Arizona's White Mountains

Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside, Snowflake, Taylor, Navajo County and the White MountainApache Tribe welcome you to the recreation wonderland known as Arizona's White ...www.azwhitemountains.net 

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply