boot lining : leather vs fabric

4:30 p.m. on April 3, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I personally prefer leather by far
I am wondering why the scarpa SL that is such a hit never had a leather lining version ... ? do people prefer fabric ?
and then is gore tex better ? or other (like cambrelle)

8:22 a.m. on April 4, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I am wondering why the scarpa SL that is such a hit never had a leather lining version ... ? do people prefer fabric ?

I agree with the leather preference. I've never been able to get a good fit out of a fabric/leather boot, they lose their shape and mush-out. As for Gore-Tex, I have yet to be sold on it's practicality in foot wear. It's redundent in an all leather boot, because they can be waterproofed quite easily. In my experience with Gore-Tex lining in fabric boots is that the gore wears out very quicklydue to repetative movement and creasing. The laminate basically disentigrates inside the lining. Fabric/leather boots may be good for breathability, but if it's not gonna offer you much support, why not just wear tennis shoes?
-Crash-

5:30 p.m. on April 10, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

goretex

I wear goretex lined work boots daily. They never babied and rarely get a proper cleaning. I haven't in years of use found my boots to leak. I do wear them out yearly so I can't say time doesn't take it's toll but use certainly doesn't. I have stood in water, oil, mud and who knows what. While I'm sure a purely leather boot breaths a little better than one with Goretex I haven't found my boots give any trouble in that respect. I think goretex is probably in it's ideal use in a boot.

4:20 a.m. on April 17, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply