1,259 forum posts
9:50 a.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,176 forum posts

Typical idiocy. 

11:22 a.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts

One of the secrets to mental health, is to be able discount the opinions of lunatics.  Anyone that thinks a human's increased exhalation of CO2 on a bike exceeds that of a car falls in that category. 

11:59 a.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Balderdash!

Are we being punked here?

Sure it could be argued cyclists have an adverse foot print with all their heavy breathing and CO2 expiration.  It could also be argued that a death lottery is an effective means to reduce CO2 gas emissions too.  Such logic stands conventional wisdom on its ear.  People engaged in such prattle simply are perverting the conventions of society for their own nefarious agendas.

I do not know the political affiliations of Representative Orcutt, but his comments seem to contradict both conservative and liberal doctrines.  Since cycling is a cheaper transportation mode for society to support, as a conservative he should be promoting it as it lowers the cost of government.  And since cycling is tree hugging eco-friendly, he should be supporting it if he were a liberal.  Thus Orcutt’s position seems to defy the underlying value systems that form the basis of both political parties’ platforms.

I can only deduct Representative Orcutt's logic results from his taking full advantage of the recently enacted cannabis laws of the state of Washington!  Comparing cycling use of roads to motorized vehicles and their respective greenhouse gas footprints is total wingnut echo chamber psycho-babble.  One can say it costs money to provide infrastructure for bicycles, but it is backward policy to charge for such infrastructure, considering bikes are a less burdensome transportation mode by any metric, on both the environment and society.  If anything society should be providing incentives to move people onto bicycles.  He should argue subsidies and tax credits for bicycle purchases and use thereof.  But if one wants to measure cost, whatever are the costs of the greenhouse gases and infrastructure borne by cycling, it is more than offset by lowered overall green house gas and resource utilization for transportation, lower overall health costs and increased productivity resulting from a more vital workforce.  Not to mention a linear foot of bikeway costs a fraction of the same length of motor car roadway. 

Ed

12:50 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

As a cyclist I feel bad about this issue. I have already taken to wearing charcoal underpants in an effort to reduce the (individually) high levels of methane in my flatus. I suppose I will have to spend more time on the couch; this will further help me die sooner than the polluters out there on their two-wheeled earth-killer machines, giving me the satisfaction of an overall smaller feetprints.

1:32 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Pathloser said:

As a cyclist I feel bad about this issue. I have already taken to wearing charcoal underpants in an effort to reduce the (individually) high levels of methane in my flatus. I suppose I will have to spend more time on the couch; this will further help me die sooner than the polluters out there on their two-wheeled earth-killer machines, giving me the satisfaction of an overall smaller feetprints.

Bwaa! I just laughter-ejected some veggies on my screen. Thanks Jon!

1:55 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Mike's just shaking his head and refusing to comment .

3:06 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,203 forum posts

must be a joke

8:07 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

"total wingnut echo chamber psycho-babble"

Dang!  That is good!  Join the grass root movement to, "Recall your Congressman".  If they have no fear then why should they be there?

If it were not for congress, I would have to wait for Paris Hilton's antics over the weekend to spice up the front page.  Haven't seen her much lately.  I'm guessing she might have fired the publicist that got her tossed in the can in LA.

8:12 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

that guys nutty as a fruitloop.

10:04 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

speacock said:

"total wingnut echo chamber psycho-babble"

Dang!  That is good! ..

Oh this story got my creative juices flowing.  Ignorance is one of the two cardinal threats to democracy, while apathy is the other, so says Thomas Paine.  It pains me greatly to witness such fiendish manipulation by an elected official of the thought processes of the unwashed masses.  Too bad I can't share my more colorful and entertaining remarks, given the G rated nature of this forum.

Ed

9:39 a.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,022 forum posts

My understanding is that this is not a joke.  Rep. Orcutt made this comment, then apologized for it. His line of reasoning was "nonsense on stilts," but I'm glad he owned up and apologized!

6:25 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,203 forum posts

Then that IS scary!

10:42 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Seth said:

My understanding is that this is not a joke.  Rep. Orcutt made this comment, then apologized for it. His line of reasoning was "nonsense on stilts," but I'm glad he owned up and apologized!

LOL, I wasn't going to touch this thread with a lodge pole...

But i would welcome poly tics to tax hot air. maybe then they would say what they mean when they mean it instead of passing out lolli pops and kissing childrens foreheads.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply