Hammock sleeping

9:45 a.m. on March 15, 2013 (EDT)
29 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Seeing as how I just got a hammock I have been doing some research and came across this blog that made me laugh all the way through, and wanted to share it http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/blog/how-to-not-get-intoout-of-a-hammock/

7:48 p.m. on March 16, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Thanks for the funny!

See, that would be me. I would have to hammock with a crashpad. Forgetful (Is that my mug down there?), impulsive (I can reach that), and clumsy (oh right, that centre-of-balance thing, ow). Bad hammocking combination.

I am intrigued by hammocks, I know the hammock people love them, but there's another reason I don't have one:

Fiona-s-pictures-2821.jpg

These trees are 30 feet long, and knee-high. This is what happens when coastal winds meet spruce forest. In between, bedrock barrens, bogs and meadows. Inland, coniferous forests so dense tree touches tree. Bad hammocking terrain I think.

Too bad, it sounds like fun. In my case, probably also entertaining to onlookers.

Wish you joy and happy trails in yours, jchanman33!

9:59 p.m. on March 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Islandess, yeah that isn't going to work out very well hangin' in a hammock in a knee high forest. That photo has a Alpine Garden look.... I think I see bear berry aka Labrador Tea.

I used to Hammock with knot less open mesh and it agreed with me well. I just laced myself in and couldn't fall out if wanted too. The first time it rained I learned to tie a tarp (cheap blue kind but green) past my feet and could pull the rest up past my head and tie as tight as i could in the hammock.

If it was already raining I added sticks to spread the tarp out under the hammock which also worked out well in medium gusty winds.

In seasons as late as Oct in NH this worked out in such that i found myself hanging partly over brooks, or having my pack lean on the head tree with in reach and as close to the ground as I needed to run my stove. My dog was also sheltered under the tarp and hammock in his own sleeping system, which he carried with his food and some of my gear to boot.

Being male has an advantage to pee still tied in a hammock...... But that is about all i will say about that. Oh other than be careful of what you stick thru that mesh. ThinK No Sudden Roll Overs :-)

5:31 a.m. on March 17, 2013 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

One thing I like about hammock camping (besides the low weight and compact size) is that you do NOT need to hang it.

My hammmock works very well as a one man tent when placed on the ground.

Use a couple of sticks to run a rope to get the mosquitto netting off your face and put up the rain fly.

One thing I don't like about hammock camping is when you stay put for a couple nights, is the constant moving your gear around (the stuff you want to stay dry) - and the tear-down/set-up from wanting to take the hammock with you on your jaunts

1:13 p.m. on March 17, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Islandess, I grew up in coastal nc, with similar windblown trees. Maybe not as extreme as your location, but it is possible to hang almost anywhere. I used to find little hills or dips where the trees were somewhat protected from the wind. They seem to be a little taller in those places, and those little trees are amazingly strong, I guess from fighting the wind. Im not a hommock only camper, but on quick or solo trips its a great way to go.

4:37 p.m. on March 17, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

you couldn't get me in one of those things...I'd be on my face in no time!

8:24 p.m. on March 17, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

those little trees are amazingly strong, I guess from fighting the wind

hotdogman, you make a good point. The climate here makes things a bit warped and crooked, some might say stunted and funny-looking, but I guess that also makes them tough. ;)

12:01 a.m. on March 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Near the Madison AMC huts is a spruce scrub low and so tight a man can't drag himself threw, semi sheltered from the wind and so it is maybe 12/14 feet high. Higher yup the same trees grow just about flat as in the picture, but are more sparse.

You would indeed need a hole in the ground in order to hang anything like a hammock there.

8:19 a.m. on March 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

If the tree is 12-14 feet high, why couldnt you hang a hammock from it? About five feet of the ground is the min to hang a hammock, in my opinion.

10:15 a.m. on March 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

hotdogman said:

If the tree is 12-14 feet high, why couldnt you hang a hammock from it? About five feet of the ground is the min to hang a hammock, in my opinion.

Texting.... yeah you sure could...... but on the trees at mad hut, they are so tight you would be on the edge and if the hammock was a net type like I have the branches would get ya bad......

I recall trying to force my way threw these in my early teens and it was hard then. 

I am sure we all know there are many hammock types. Mine are El Cheapo nets with No Knots in the mesh. I still have 2 maybe 3, but if i still have that 3rd one it has knots in the mesh, and is ill suited IMO for sleeping in. If I have it I may rig it as a storage loft for laying out gear like sleeping bags, self inflating pads and tents from the cellar floor joists.

Also it has been a long time since i used a hammock for camping.

8:51 a.m. on March 19, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

They have changed a lot. The newer ones designed for camping are way more comfortable than the old school ones made for a nap in the backyard. Ive thought many times, as I looked at the diff teepee pics that a hammock would work perfectly hung from the poles.

10:59 a.m. on March 19, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Hotdogman, Yeah that could work to, but i never did. I made little net hammocks for gear in tipis, but more made parfleches (raw hide bags or boxes might be better)

My mesh hammocks are real old 70's vintage for sure, but still look as new as the day i bought them, and are well used. These weigh a few ounces each and both fit in a old purple Seagrams 7 bag. I bet that is dating huh?

December 27, 2014
Quick Reply