About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Avalanche Airbags

12:38 p.m. on March 19, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Seems that a lot of what is being advertised is a bit misleading.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/03/the-truth-about-airbags-and-avalanche-survival/

4:55 p.m. on March 19, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

he's saying its more like over 50%. better than nothing. still, you wouldn't catch me dead in those areas. I'm a fairweather hiker. I find I survive better that way.

9:02 p.m. on March 19, 2013 (EDT)
285 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

Avy airbags are a great safety item, upping your chances of survival in an avalanche significantly. Anything that does that I'm for. That's why I also carry an Avalung.

BUT... they can't save you from getting strained thru trees and boulders or going over cliffs.

6:06 p.m. on March 20, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,138 forum posts

We argued this one before but they do seem to save lives. Hopefully it doesn't make people ski things that they know they shouldn't.

4:16 a.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

Speed equals safety in sketchy snow terrain. 

The avy bag systems are bulky and not light.  They represent a significant additional payload to haul.  I would rather re-route than venture into terrain where such a device could be justified.  And in any case if I had to travel through such terrain, I would not want the likes and weight of this kit slowing my passage.  IMO they are impractical for anything longer than a day trip, as you can't carry much additional gear besides perhaps a lunch and parka.  I cannot see taking one on my back country ski trips.  I think these things are made for the heli ski crowd.

Ed

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply