Why are there holes in my shovel?

6:48 p.m. on March 19, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,204 forum posts

This should be an easy one:

I'm not a back-country skier so I don't know much beyond the basics of avalanche science.  I do have a shovel that I use in the Summer to dig in the snow if I need to make a windbreak for the tent or something.  But one thing about it puzzles me: why do avy shovel blades usually have two holes in the side?

55195-medium_work-Mini_Telepro_T6_Avalan

I imagine its for stowing the thing but I can't think how to use the holes for that.  Anyone have a pic of the correct way to use these holes? 

Maybe this belongs in the gear forum, oops. 

8:34 p.m. on March 19, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Emergency dead man anchor. Extra stake out for your tent. Or worst case a way to transport an injured partner.

8:58 p.m. on March 19, 2013 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Most of us ski patrollers and backcountry skiers in avy territory put ropes thru them and around the handle top for use as shoulder straps. Only one knot needs to be untied to take the rope out.

That's the main reason they are found on most brands of avy shovels. You'll see ski patrollers in big ski areas carrying them like this.

5:19 p.m. on March 20, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

It makes it lighter! :) And at Halloween you can use it as a mask. They are also great sleds when on a slope and want to get to the bottom faster.

7:04 p.m. on March 20, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

to carry it with shoulder straps, and as an emergency sled to evacuate your buddy with the broken legs...

9:32 a.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

All of the above, I believe, but my knowledge on it is mainly academic. 

8:16 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

Pasta strainer.

12:12 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

insert hooked end of bungee cord, turn 90 degrees - and lash it to your backpack.  or, loop the free end of a 1 to 1.5 inch cargo strap through those holes to secure it to a daisy chain on your backpack.  or forget the holes and get a mystery ranch broomstick:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/adventure/skiing-snowboarding-packs/broomstick-pack

and yes, as a couple already noted, those holes can help (with skis) turn it into an impromptu sled if needed, or as a snow anchor by looping a line through the holes and burying the shovel.  

1:55 p.m. on March 24, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I though maybe you looked through them to avoid snow blindness, but your eyes would have to be pretty far apart wouldn't they. Haha.

Mike G.

1:28 a.m. on March 28, 2013 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

Well, that is simple.  Geesh. It's to keep you from ruining both eyes at the same time.  You have a spare to stare with.

8:22 p.m. on March 31, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

speacock said:

Well, that is simple.  Geesh. It's to keep you from ruining both eyes at the same time.  You have a spare to stare with.

Excellent point!

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply