Surprising Facts About Ski Deaths

11:38 a.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

http://unofficialnetworks.com/7-surprising-facts-ski-deaths-injuries-119764/

Evidently since I ski blue runs, wear a helmet and am near the 37 years old range I run a high risk if dying on the slopes.

So if I ditch the helmet and ski the back-side I'll be safer? I'm totally in! Kidding.

Ski safe, the season is almost over!  Unless you're hitting the corn this Summer.

Oh, I almost forgot, "I'm radder than you!"

;)

2:49 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I like the peanut gallery comments about ski helmets lacking ability to protect against collisions in excess of 12 mph.  What these clowns haven't considered is most sports helmets are designed to protect your head when it hits the ground.  If you hit stationary objects any faster you are likely to have severe spinal injuries regardless how rugged the helmet is. 

Ed

6:51 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Best to ski within your abilities seems to be prudent advice.

8:12 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
485 forum posts

The ski industry is one of the last significant high risk area that has almost no good statistics on accidents and injuries suffered.  For the most part they are 'self regulated' and 'voluntarily reported'.
Probably just as well.  Would probably scare the bejesus out of many and ignored by the ones who would most likely end up a statistic anyway.

10:27 p.m. on March 24, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,499 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

a high school friend took a high speed fall at Sugarbush a long time ago and caught a tree crosswise on his torso.  alert medical care saved his life, but he lost his spleen from the impact.  none of us wore helmets back then, and it wouldn't have made any difference in that crash.  if his head had hit that tree instead, going at least 30 i'm guessing, he would have suffered severe head/neck trauma anyway.  moral of the story, for me, was to be a little more careful and ski a little more in control.  

my worst crash was in spring corn snow at Jackson Hole.  typical scenario - end of a long, warm day, coming down a bowl with catwalks in heavy snow.  went into a catwalk too fast near the bottom, and my tired legs couldn't absorb the hit.  left an embarrassing trail of stuff in my wake as i cartwheeled, ending with a body slam into the slope so hard it unzipped my jacket.  lucky to escape with a strained shoulder.  

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply