Alaska Man Fights Off Bear, Walks Away with Minor Injuries

7:39 p.m. on May 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/alaska-man-fights-off-bear-walks-away-minor-100049041.html

ht_bear_mi_130430_wmain.jpg

Alaska Man Fights Off Bear, Walks Away with Minor Injuries (ABC News)

10:06 a.m. on May 5, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

No spray? Hmmmm...

Me thinks that someone who lives in bear territory would keep an item like this close at hand. Especially if not for himself but for his family.

I mean seriously; there was an 11, an 8, and a 7 mos old present.

I think ol' Mr. Burke dropped the ball a bit here.

Typically all hell breaks loose the minute one is not prepared and this was one of those moments.

(just a few observations from the story; I wasn't there so...)

They were all quite lucky that is for sure. That was also a small bear from the photo. 

Not quite sure why but I would have paid good money to see the bear vs telephone pole fight.

Just sayin.

10:17 a.m. on May 6, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

That's a tiny bear. Very unusual behaviour, though.

10:25 a.m. on May 6, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,187 forum posts

Its often the young male bears that are the trouble makers.  No reason to second guess this guy.  He did great.

12:47 p.m. on May 6, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

"... an investigation revealed a female brown bear was acting erratically by attacking a vehicle, a telephone pole and then, eventually, attack a male walking on the beach."

Most predatory bear attacks are by young males that haven't yet learned to hunt. As I said, very unusual to see a young female behaving this way. I wonder if there was something else going on, like an injury. 

5:47 p.m. on May 6, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Yep, not typical behavior but it happened none the less. It's a shame the bear had to be put down, but it's also a shame the problem wasn't resolved until the troopers arrived since other people were at risk during this time.

Mike G.

9:15 p.m. on May 7, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

she was probably hungry or territorial. maybe she was in heat...seems strange the guy didn't have a weapon or bear spray, they said they were "mentally prepared"...I think next time he better have a gun or spray at least...especially with children. kids make great bear snacks.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply