Zion's Subway

1:23 p.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Is anyone hiking The Subway in Zion natl park on Wednesday May 29th or Thursday May 30th? Me and a buddy would love to do that hike but do not want to do it alone as we have no climbing gear an are not experienced canyoneers! Let me know thanks

10:22 p.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,279 forum posts

You probably are too late to plan for those dates, as it requires advance reservations, and it books up during good weather periods.  There are several guide services that can provide the support you seek, for a fee.  Search this forum for the subway; I know at least one thread references a few of these guide services.

Ed

9:35 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

If you have a permit I would use it. A top down trip is the best for the canyoneering experience but even a bottom up and back is good stuff.

A few years ago I took my wife to Utah and had many permits that all seem to line up like the stars as far as our/my time period. We had driven from Alabama and she was to fly out of Vegas less than midway through and I completed my trip alone.

We had driven through the night, toured Valley of the Gods and Goosenecks of the San Juan the day of arrival, Monument Vally and Wahweap Hoodoos hike the second, Buckskin Gulch overnight the 3rd and 4th, Angels Landing the 5th, and permit for the Subway was the 6th. She was getting pretty tired  of the non stop approach and it had been 105 degrees for a couple of days.....but I was in super go mode.  I could see that a top down was not going to be the most realistic or safest because of her being worn out but I was not going to waste the permit. We hiked from the bottom up to the main subway and hung out...I climbed up the last rappell and went as far as the last swim area alone to the next rappell going up canyon. We hung out then came out.

It was totally worth it. She had to be in vegas later that night and it worked out. I kept going for another week with permits all over and some biking in Co.

Long story short....... do it if just from the bottom up. Cant remember but I though thought the permits were lottery.......so if you have one take advantage of it.  If no permit then good luck....show up at rangers office and hope for a no show.

Heres example of sights from the bottom up:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mls1512/LeftForkOfNorthCreekAkaTheSubway?authuser=0&feat=directlink

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply