SAR Article\ local for me- good read

7:31 a.m. on June 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,244 forum posts

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jun/23/counting-the-costs-of-search-and-rescue-missions/

My favortite parapgraphs from the article:

While it could be easy for rangers to criticize those who find themselves having to be rescued, park spokeswoman Dana Soehn said, it’s usually because people don’t appreciate the challenging nature of the park.

“A lot of it is people overestimate their own ability and underestimate how challenging it is to backpack in this park,” she said.

Soehn said some folks think it is going to be just like a walk they would do on a greenway and they think there’s no possible way they could ever get lost.

“The Smokies is a large wilderness  and stepping off the trail here, you can get lost and turned around in the thickness of the vegetation and topography and people don’t expect it,” she said. “I think everyone, no matter how experienced, has had that experience.”

2:56 p.m. on June 23, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

good article. the rangers there are real pros.

6:35 p.m. on July 4, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

“I think everyone, no matter how experienced, has had that experience.”

If you've never stepped off the trail and wondered, even for just a moment, which way to go to get back to it, you probably shouldn't be out there. 

A similar article last year about a SAR study by the US Forest Service said that most people who get into trouble don't really understand the dangers they might encounter; that the risks are very real and that they can kill you.

Every story like this one helps if it convinces someone to take it all seriously. 

1:34 a.m. on July 5, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Good Article.Reminds you that a little slip can cost you..

11:04 a.m. on July 11, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Articles like that make me afraid to hike alone. My wife and I always leave a map in our car of where i intend to go in case we come up missing, someone knows where to start looking. Also I guess I am resigned to the fact that danger is just part of the experience. 

8:29 a.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I don't think anyone has to be afraid, Shyne. IMHO the biggest reason people run into problems is because they fail to recognize that there ARE dangers they won't encounter at home, they don't prepare for them, and they don't consider that those dangers can be magnified by things like distance from help.

A bit of research ('ten essentials'), some preparation and forethought, and a cool head will let you avoid most of the problems you might run into, and leaving a route and return time with someone who cares about you will prompt a rescue if something does go wrong. 

11:19 a.m. on July 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

That was a good article. Thanks for posting the link to it. 

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply