All my wild places...

8:14 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

...are burning down!! first there was the chariot fire that burned sunrise highway to a crisp, destroying the Al Bar shriner's camp that had been there for 80 years, and possibly the penny pines trailhead which was my favorite trail!! I don't know for sure because the area is still closed so I haven't been able to go check it out. now, we have the mountain fire that's burning Idyllwild to a crisp! That's the location of the Devil's Slide trail which is my other favorite trail!! I'm not going to have anyplace to hike!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

8:18 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I also forgot to mention that the site of our annual car camp in October is also along Sunrise Highway - I don't even know if it's still there....WAAAAAAAA!!

8:35 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Will they grow back? Forest fires are necessary for a healthy succession of plant life. 

8:39 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

the trees won't grow back, and that's why I loved these trails. the campgrounds probably won't grow back either...the Shrine camp may have had insurance, but it won't replace the History. their lodge that burned down was built in 1920.

10:19 p.m. on July 17, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,793 reviewer rep
797 forum posts

Most of the time I envy all you guys with the wild places. I've only got Shawnee & Mark Twain National Forests, and they're both 3 hours away. So I don't get the luxury of throwing my gear in the car and going on a spur of the moment outing.

Sorry to hear about this Trailjester. I know Peter's right about forest health, but I'm sympathetic to your loss.

10:21 a.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Don't get me wrong, TJ. It's devastating to see any area of wilderness burned off. You absolutely have my sympathy. 

Just trying to offer the solace that, eventually, it will all come back better than ever. See the Marble Canyon shots in this TR:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/142975.html

The fires clear out the dead underbrush, making room for new growth. 

1:17 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

In 1988 I went down to help out on the Yellowstone Fire Complex. I saw first hand the devestation that occurs during a forest fire and heard from many people who said their Park was burning down. I went back a couple years later and saw the regeneration of the forest and it was amazing. Coming from northern Canada I was surprised by how quick the forest started to grow back; this faster rate of regeneration in the US is aided by the rainfall and warmer climate which in turn produces a longer growing season.

I went back to Yellowstone 6 years after the fire event and saw that much of the Ponderosa Pine had regrown significantly. Many species of pine, and some spruce and sequoia too, are serotinous in nature, meaning they need a fire to open up the cones for reseading. I have also seen forests that have had extensive fire suppression and the trees have suffered from various deseases and infestations of insects.

Give it time; your forest will grow back and probably look healthier, too.

3:32 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,426 reviewer rep
1,234 forum posts

Sorry your favs are all aflame.

Washington hasn't had much fire activity this year, come on down, or up, depending.  As a former wild land firefighter I still catch myself getting excited by wildfire. 

If we did more prescribed burning the stand-replacement fires would be less frequent.  Lighting prescribed fires is just about as much fun as fighting wild ones so I am okay either way. 

5:01 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Yeah.. it truly is sad to see the fire reports coming out of Idyllwild.  I recently hiked up Mt. San Jacinto a few months back.  At the same time, there were wildfires near Gorgonio.  Now the fires have hit near San Jacinto.  The conditions out there in California are nasty.. with Late Spring/Early Summer conditions looking like Late Summer/Early Fall.  Such conditions have added to the string of wildfires.  Hopefully we will be blessed with heavy rain/snowfall this winter and those areas will grow back to their natural beauty.  Obviously, it will take a while though.

7:14 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I know it will grow back. the trees take the longest. I am still waiting for the trees to grow back from the cedar fire, and that was 6 years ago. I am just bummed out about the campgrounds. the cedar fire destroyed one campground and they haven't rebuilt it. I am just afraid the destruction of this latest fire won't be rebuilt.

8:05 p.m. on July 24, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

turns out both fires were "human caused" which makes it that much more of a pisser...

8:03 a.m. on July 25, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I feel your pain. I've often thought that my own territory (Jasper/Banff) would be a lot better off if there were no tourists around. 

2:33 p.m. on July 27, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I don't think we should ban tourists...that's why these places are here...just ban the idiots!

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply