"The Nitty-gritty of Thru-Hiking", Chris DePolo

10:49 a.m. on July 26, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Good article here on the differences between 'hiking' (dayhikes, short overnighters) and thru-hiking. Smart guy with some sensible information.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/blog/stories/the-nitty-gritty-of-thru-hiking?utm_medium=Social-post&utm_campaign=FB+Best+of+Verticulture+Nitty-Gritty&utm_source=Facebook

11:40 a.m. on July 26, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

My longest thru-hike was 256 miles in the Grand Canyon, which took me 28 days.  Thru-hiking is so enjoyable once you get past the first week or so and really get into the wilderness area you are now living in. At the end of the 28 days I was reluctant to have to return to civilization and the artificial  world we live in.

When others found out I was going to do this hike or that I had done it alone, they would ask,"What do you do if you break your leg, or get sick"? I would say "I don't know, I will find out when it happens" but it doesn't stop me from going or trying.

He really explains about the facts of long distant thru-hiking well.

I have always wanted to be able to spend a whole year on a single thru-hike covering thousands of miles and following my nose and different routes beginning to end.

9:31 a.m. on July 28, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,336 reviewer rep
832 forum posts

Good article. Thanks for posting it.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply