About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

New PCT Speed Record

11:07 p.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts
11:45 p.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,047 forum posts

Iam in Awe of both Josh and Anish for breaking the (Josh)Supported and (Anish) Unsupported records.Matt Kirk just set the APPalation Trails unspupported Record at 58 days...The year of speed hiking records all around..

1:19 a.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
286 reviewer rep
120 forum posts

What?!?!  That is amazing!!

8:12 p.m. on August 13, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

I think that defeats the purpose of being out there.

8:39 p.m. on August 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,703 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Article reads:

"Garrett did the entire trek on a vegan diet as a way to raise awareness about cruelty to animals."

If I were doing a thru trip on a vegan diet, I'd try to get it over with as fast as possible to.  :P

Okay, seriously, I agree with Trailjester. Everyone should hike their own hike, but I don't see the joy in this venture.

7:16 a.m. on August 14, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
863 reviewer rep
315 forum posts

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way when reading this post.  Hike your own hike and all that, so congrats to these folks for accomplishing what they wanted to, but doesn't sound like fun to me. 

Can't help but compare it to speed reading Frost; Sure you get to the end faster, but you might have missed the point.

9:57 a.m. on August 14, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1:23 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

IF you look into this there is a lot more information then what these stories are posting.  I was following Anish on Facebook she too is a Vegan, although she did eat some non vegan food to keep her protein levels high enough in Washington and I think some south of that.   What she did I think is truly amassing, although I would agree that this is not what most people think about with the PCT.  Although there have been many records and record attempts on the PCT.  Of course not a single one is official.

Although what Matt did is nothing to laugh at, I don't think her would have even made it out of Southern California with out his support crew.  Heat exhaustion, disorientation, and other issues.  I was surprised he had such a strong finish.

I personally  don't even think there in the same class.  On and yes, Anish did this just to set a record, if you read her story, you'll see it was always about her dream and her self awareness.

Wolfman

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply