maps for teton crest trail

4:14 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Hey all,

would anyone recommend a good source of maps for hiking the Teton Crest Trail?  preferably any "free" download sources.  my wife and I are leaving in two weeks, and would just like to review the topography before departing.

thanks in advance. 

Mike

4:32 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts
11:27 a.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

I use www.Mapcard.com its not free but at $29.95 a year I can save,copy and print out any map of anywhere in the USA including Hawaii in many scales from 1/6000 to 1/200000  and even aerial views. 

Its a USGS site.

200000-scale-at-Jenny-Lake-GTNP.jpg

1/200000 map of GTNP

100000-sacle-at-jenny-Lake-GTNP.jpg

1/100000 map of GTNP

50000-scale-of-GTNP.jpg

1/50000 map of GTNP

25000-sacle-of-GCNP.jpg

1/25000 scale map

It good for a years worth of maps.

I have hiked the TCT many times in the 30+ years I lived in Jackson WY  for the summers.

1:50 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

The best online interface for viewing multiple map sources that I'm aware of is here: 
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=46.785956,-121.737785&z=14

It allows full screen viewing of 14 different map sources, from Google terrain view to high detail US topos, all with many menu options including Search, Map Shading, Declination Alignment, Waypoint and Route Drawing, Street View, and Printing.  One of it's fantastic features in the smooth scrolling  "click and drag" exploration of the map, instead of the horrible "click to center" or Click to move X direction interface of many map sites.  

I've not used it to print maps, so I do not know how good the resolution once printed will be, though, as it just uses the current screen image. This means your printable area at a given scale level will depend upon your monitor's resolution. 

I also use mapcard for printing maps, as it allows for a much wider range of printing options and higher resolution PDF files for printing than the Browser printing that the free sites support. I'm not fond of the subscription price of $30, but that's merely the price of a couple pizzas, So it's been worth it for me.  

8:08 p.m. on August 21, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

At $30 a year, I can copy,save and print thousands of maps a year for $2.50 a month. 

I want to try the web link you posted above tho, Gonzan tho.

6:14 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

thanks for the suggestions.  My wife decided to purchase a large fold-out map off amazon for her need to see the "big picture".  thanks for your kind concerns!

Mike

9:27 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

You're welcome! 

If she got the National Geographic map, I'll venture to offer one more bit of advice: The NatGeo maps are not very detailed and smaller in scale than USGS or USFS maps, so I'd advise really carefully studying the better maps online before you go. Being completely familiar with the route and terrain beforehand is so valuable. 

11:28 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

gonzan said:

You're welcome! 

If she got the National Geographic map, I'll venture to offer one more bit of advice: The NatGeo maps are not very detailed and smaller in scale than USGS or USFS maps, so I'd advise really carefully studying the better maps online before you go. Being completely familiar with the route and terrain beforehand is so valuable. 

Amen to that! I still use NatGeo maps on trail because they are easy to read and hard to destroy, but I spend a lot of time online prior to a trip using as many other resources as I can find.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply