So, does this mean we don't have to buy permits anymore?

12:23 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Since the government is shut down now might be a good  time to enjoy the wild places sans-permits, if your ethics allow you to do such a thing.  Tired of waiting in line, putting in for a lottery or dodging rangers as you sneak in a permit-only area with out the required papers?  Worry no more I guess. 

I know I'll get some hate for suggesting this but it makes me want to go check out the Enchantments (in WA) since I'd never submit myself to the regular lottery/permit system this might be the only time I get to see them.  Of course its snowing up there now but I do need to test some gear. 

Hmmm...

So bring the hate but I just kinda wish it had happened a little earlier during better hiking weather but one must make hay while the cats away, or something like that.  I'm just trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

2:06 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

I would worry about going into an area where the are serious restrictions or permit requirements...

But we're still thinking about getting in one more trip out of Leavitt Meadows, where the permits are self-register, even if the USFS is closed?

3:52 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

I would think the law enforcement aspect would be considered "essential personnel" and therefore they would continue to patrol, albeit, using a skeleton crew of personnel.  They may close those particular areas and deem them off limits until the shutdown is over.  Not certain though.  Better to call ahead.

5:23 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I am going to pull a Christopher Mcandless and throw my kayak in the Colorado River and roll through the Grand Canyon.  lol

5:28 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Let me tell you from experience hiking without a permit. First offence I got 1 year probation and a week in jail. Second offence I got 3 years Supervised Probation, 3 year expulsion from all national parks and 2 weeks in jail. I hiked the Grand Canyon without a permit just after they started charging a fee for them in 2001. I was caught twice the first time, told to leave the park when I got to the trail head and had to turn myself in at the federal courthouse in Flagstaff 80 miles away, That was in 2002. and the second time they arrested me in the back country and took me to the rim and into jail. I went to federal court two weeks later after 13 days in jail, that was in March 2009, also in Flagstaff. I have not been back to the canyon since.

5:43 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,522 reviewer rep
888 forum posts

Jason Ruff said:

I am going to pull a Christopher Mcandless and throw my kayak in the Colorado River and roll through the Grand Canyon.  lol

I thought the same thing when I saw Sage's post!

6:35 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

I have a lot of cool places to explore where all you do is park and start walking or paddling, so the un-government shut down is not really an issue for me.

7:57 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,097 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Let me tell you from experience hiking without a permit. First offence I got 1 year probation and a week in jail. Second offence I got 3 years Supervised Probation, 3 year expulsion from all national parks and 2 weeks in jail. I hiked the Grand Canyon without a permit just after they started charging a fee for them in 2001. I was caught twice the first time, told to leave the park when I got to the trail head and had to turn myself in at the federal courthouse in Flagstaff 80 miles away, That was in 2002. and the second time they arrested me in the back country and took me to the rim and into jail. I went to federal court two weeks later after 13 days in jail, that was in March 2009, also in Flagstaff. I have not been back to the canyon since.

thats some heavy fines..I could see why you advacate for following the rules..

8:10 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Probably means SAR is pretty much shut down, too, so you might be all on your own if anything goes wrong. Just a thought...

Don't you guys have any state parks you could go to in the meantime? 

8:18 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts
12:54 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

Sage,

You owe to yourself to visit the Enchanted Lakes Basin as soon as you can. I have not been there in awhile. Thanks for the update on current requirements.

2:43 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,097 forum posts

Peter1955 said:

Probably means SAR is pretty much shut down, too, so you might be all on your own if anything goes wrong. Just a thought...

I still have 300 plus miles on the AT.I can hike in Virginia..So its really not an inconvienace to me..Although I was looking at doing a trip to Shenandoah NP for the folliage..The down fall is all the National Forests are closed also.

10:40 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

Denis are you certain the NF is closed? Those "should" remain available for use. I'm heading into NM next week and called ahead. All NF's in NM are open for dispersed camping and recreational use only. The NF campgrounds are closed.

10:37 a.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,097 forum posts

rob5073 said:

Denis are you certain the NF is closed? Those "should" remain available for use. I'm heading into NM next week and called ahead. All NF's in NM are open for dispersed camping and recreational use only. The NF campgrounds are closed.

The campgrounds are closed like you said ROB..They closed the one by me to keep poachers and people from stealing wood.Sorry about that if it sounded like the trails..

11:04 a.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

red Rock in nevada is accessible. But no help out there. http://www.conservationlands.org/closed-the-government-shutdown-and-the-national-conservation-lands

Thanks for pointing that out GiftoGab. There are lots of BLM lands worth exploring that are still open!

8:05 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Peter1955 said:

We do Peter, and I think that's the wiser course of action. 

6:01 p.m. on October 8, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,522 reviewer rep
888 forum posts
5:26 p.m. on October 13, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

let's all go to Yosemite! of course, parking may be a problem...

7:51 a.m. on October 14, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Think how peaceful Yosemite must be without all the traffic!

5:52 p.m. on October 14, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

BigRed said:

Think how peaceful Yosemite must be without all the traffic!

Yosemite is well armed. I read about a bus of tourists, they were charged the 300 fee to go through the park. When they stopped to take a picture of some bison, armed rangers converged and told them to get back on the bus and stop taking pictures.....some of the foreigh tourists were scaed and asked if theyw ere being arrested.

11:07 p.m. on October 14, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Yosemite...Bison? Where in Yosemite are there Bison?

11:09 a.m. on October 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

DOH! I meant Yellowstone! Dumb me yosemite on the brain.

1:26 p.m. on October 15, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,361 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Teacher-students-get-125-tickets-for-visiting-Olympic-Natl-Park-227812301.html

This is fresh news from Washington State...

It's not worth the risk -- even for "public land"  ...    ...    ...

2:17 p.m. on October 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

sg,

people are still hiking on federal lands here but are not parking in obvious areas.

I jut met a guy thu-hiking the Benton MacKaye Trail (Tennessee to Georgia) and he had no issues going through the Smokies on foot but noted that resupply had to be well planned since some of the road access points and parking lots were corded off. He also told me that thru hikers were not being bothered at all by rangers (other than changing resupply plans).

2:33 p.m. on October 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Just a thought...but before the federal government GRABBED all this land as park land people just wandered around on it. so now that the government virtually does not exist where these lands are concerned...people should just be able to wander around on it.....No support, no services. Just land. Huh.....

4:50 p.m. on October 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

This whole shutdown has really made me think about public lands in ways I didn't before. 

Ron's observation here was quite thought provoking. This link is specific to the Smokies and perhaps not applicable to every park and scenario but I found it interesting.

Also looks like many parks will reopen soon.

7:38 a.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I love the Komo story about the Teacher getting ticketed, way to show how great America is.  So to recap..

A furlowed Federal employee, who technically is not a federal employee right now gives someone a ticket for entry to a closed park.  Which again technically they are not federal employees and there for could be sited for the same thing. 

I just love our government and it's systems!   I still don't understand how they can legally close all the national park land.  I get the facilities and visitor centers and all that, but the forest and land them-self? 

Of course once they are "officially" back to work they will get paid all the back pay, so why the hell are they not working anyway! 

Seems that more of them are out "patrolling" then when they are on duty.  It just makes me sick! And Pissed!

Rant done.

11:08 a.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

The KOMO story is great. 

I love the look on the ranger's face, he seems really happy.

Seriously though, a ticket for pulling over and taking a picture next to the road, ridiculous.  Someone was feeling a little badge-heavy. 

12:36 p.m. on October 16, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

As is happening all over the nation the Smokies are open today. I find the local government cooperation interesting too. Such activities make me wonder if Federal involvement in the park is necessary at all. Everyone recognizes the political theater that played out with our parks as a backdrop.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply