Good Read: Backpacking And Weight Loss

11:00 a.m. on March 11, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,086 reviewer rep
175 forum posts

Found this article yesterday, and it seemed appropriate to share with the TS community. Published in 2005, this might not be the most current article you might find. Interesting, none-the-less!

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Weight_Loss/Weight_Loss.html 

11:35 a.m. on March 11, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I can attribute weight loss to hiking. In summer when I work my average 90 days a year I tend to put on some extra weight as I am not hiking as much as I do the 276 days a year I don't work. But as soon as I leave on my first backpacking adventure I lose the added pounds with in a month and get back to my hiking body weight. 

Even when I am hiking 30 days a month for 9 months and eating about 2 lbs of food a day I still lose weight from constant hiking.

12:24 p.m. on March 11, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,039 reviewer rep
450 forum posts

Both backpacking and cycling help me keep my weight down.  It isn't just the exercise either.  As what cyclists refer to as a Clydesdale climbing is my nemesis in either sport.  Cutting a few ounces in my pack is great, but dropping unproductive weight from my body is cheaper by far.

Once it snows and I stop riding in the Fall I eat what ever I want for a few months.  By this time of year when I'm loading up dinner plates I am always thinking about the climbs and going for smaller portions.

Definitely something to think about this time of year, especially for those of us who don't get out as much over the Winter.  Thanks for sharing that Sean.

12:53 p.m. on March 11, 2014 (EDT)
220 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

On a recent 6 week trip through the Arctic I lost around 20 pounds without even noticing. I have always found it easier to "auto-cannibalize” fat stores rather than carrying what would amount to back breaking loads on long backpacking trips. By the end of a long trip I find myself in better shape than I ever thought humanly possible. My weight has always fluctuated wildly though, sometimes by as much as 40 pounds, depending on my activity and duration. I see a doctor regularly and fortunately this doesn’t seem to be having a negative effect on my health.

9:25 p.m. on March 11, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,086 reviewer rep
175 forum posts

"Once a backpacker's weight loss goals are achieved, a wonderful thing can happen. Perhaps for the first time in his or her life, the newly slimmed hiker can begin worrying about actually getting enough calories (especially on the trail) to avoid further weight loss. He or she might even develop a fondness for Snickers bars or begin using old backpacker's tricks like adding olive oil to meals in order to pump up the calorie content."

9:43 a.m. on March 12, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Good read.  I am always an advocate of trimming my weight over spending a lot of $$ on buying lighter equipment, within reason.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply