What's the differents between women and men's sleepingbags

9:46 a.m. on April 20, 2017 (EDT)
89 reviewer rep
79 forum posts

I came across a deal too good to pass up. The North Face blue kazoo sleepingbag. I can't afford a down bag. But this one they are selling me for 75.00. They say it's a 15 degree bag. And all I can find is women's bag. The 20 degree bags are listed as men. I figure if I can't use it. My wife or daughters can. Maybe my bean pole son? Any how I was wondering if anybody knew what the differnets between men's and womens bags are? Google was much help. Happy Trails and thanks. 

10:10 a.m. on April 20, 2017 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,929 forum posts

I believe it is really a gimmick to sell sleeping bags. The dimensions of a women's bag are slightly different. It might be slightly shorter and wider in the hips. It is like a women's sweater with the zipper going the opposite of a men's sweater. Get in the bag and try it. If it fits you will never know the difference.

10:31 a.m. on April 20, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,551 reviewer rep
1,367 forum posts

@oogway: I say go for it, especially if you're a cold sleeper. For a given length, a women's bag will usually be cut a little more generously in the torso, and have more insulation.

Also, I really hope this thread doesn't end up being a bunch of men debating women's sleeping bags.

11:42 a.m. on April 20, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,671 reviewer rep
1,130 forum posts

Nothing to debate really, they are what they are. Bags designed for women tend to be narrower in the shoulder, wider in the hips and will have extra insulation to keep both torso and toes warm. Depending on your build and the cut of the bag it may work just fine for you oogway and really should only be an issue if you are really big or toss and turn a lot.

1:09 p.m. on April 20, 2017 (EDT)
89 reviewer rep
79 forum posts

I'm going to try it anyway. I do toss and turn a lot in my sleep or so I've been told. Lol...it's the price and the fact it's new and a down bag. If it first work for me than my wife or kids get it.

8:25 p.m. on April 20, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,275 reviewer rep
5,968 forum posts

During our half-century of spending time in the woods, hills, and snow, the only difference between Barb's and my sleeping bags has been in size. She got an "elephant's foot" bag one time (that's a half-length bag used for us taller folks for bivouacking with a down parka as the top of the bag). For her most recent 5° bag from Western Mountaineering (our local "down supplier" for sleeping bags, parkas, down pants), she got the short one and had WM put the same amount of down as in my longer bag (makes hers a fair amount warmer - she is 5 feet exactly, while I am 5ft 9in).

However, we have gotten a couple of "zip together" bags from MHW and Feathered Friends, with the zippers the same length on the bags, but the head to foot distance slightly longer for mine (CAVEAT - I have been told by well-informed sources that such companies have ceased doing such customization).

Bottom line - for the bags we have acquired over the years, the only difference in the same model bag is length and width - longer bags tend to be wider at the shoulders and hips, which is only reasonable since taller people tent to be larger in circumference and conversely.

However, some companies make bags that are wider or narrower at the shoulders or wider or narrower at the hips. There are a few we have seen that are labelled as "men's", meaning extra wide at the shoulders, or "women's" meaning somewhat wider at the hips. There are also some I have seen in "rugged outdoorsmen" stores that are more "barrel-shaped", for those folks who wear a belt that is a "tad longer"

Advice - check the fit of the bag in the store. REI, EMS, et al will let you try the bag (as long as you are clean and not dragging dust and dirt into their bag stock. Take your shoes off!

10:04 a.m. on April 21, 2017 (EDT)
23 reviewer rep
225 forum posts

Once upon a time, long,long ago, in a galaxy far, far, away....the purveyors of sleeping bags sold only "non-sex"bags, available as large, medium, and small.  Just about everyone survived.

If the bag fits, wear it......

10:58 a.m. on April 21, 2017 (EDT)
89 reviewer rep
79 forum posts

Thank you everyone. I bought the bag yeasterday. Five people have offered me 100.00 for it. I paid 75.00. It is new and my wife and two daughters are hopeing I want like it so they can have it. Once again i thank everyone for your wonderful advice.

October 21, 2017
Quick Reply