Cleaning pocket knives (those pesky Swiss and their minuscule machinery...)

11:40 p.m. on February 16, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I've got a few pocket knives (a swiss army, a wenger, and some german one), and sometimes when they get grity on the inside they start to make little grating sounds. I usually just go in with a toothpick covered in cloth and clean them out, but this is terribly tedious and not totally effective. Anybody know a good way to clean these things, like between the joints and everything?

Thanks,

Daniel

7:21 a.m. on February 17, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I've got a few pocket knives (a swiss army, a wenger, and some german one), and sometimes when they get grity on the inside they start to make little grating sounds. I usually just go in with a toothpick covered in cloth and clean them out, but this is terribly tedious and not totally effective. Anybody know a good way to clean these things, like between the joints and everything?

Thanks,

A long soak in hot soapy water, followed by vigorous brushing, and then an application of your favorite lube while you exercise the mechanisms usually will make a startling difference

8:48 a.m. on February 18, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

For years I have cleaned my swiss army knives by opening all the blades and running them through the dish washer. I do it this way because I am lazy and it works. I would never try this on a fancy knife with a bone or leather handle but it has not damaged my SAK.

10:19 a.m. on March 12, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

After toothpick or other tool dip it in 1% hydrogen peroxide for 5min. Flush with running water & LUBE it.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply