Convertible Shell Pants? Hmmm..interesting

12:41 p.m. on February 21, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I saw these pants recently, made of Red Ledge Thunderlight, that had zip off legs like those on lots of trail pants (at http://www.redledge.com/frame_set.html, and http://www.outdoorsplusmore.com/rainsuits_rl_thunderlight.asp). It seemed like a pretty good idea: hiking all hot during the day in the shorts, then just slip on the lower legs when it gets cold and windy at camp, or when it rains. Of course I don't know how comfortable wearing w/b shorts in warm weather would be compared to regular supplex or whatever, but an interesting idea non the less. I don't suppose anyone has used these? If not, any thoughts on the subject are welcome.

Daniel

2:41 p.m. on February 21, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Convertible Shell Pants

My younger brother calls these pants "Pants-formers", Cracks me up!

Sounds like a good idea, I have a pair of lightweight nylon hiking pants of this style, I just cant get into the feel (or look, shallow me)of the zippers around my legs, Like those olde-tyme hula hoop impregnated dancing pants, know what I mean?
Alex

11:50 p.m. on February 21, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

hahaha. PANTS-FORMERS! (clothing in disguise!)<<

They are a little funny looking/feeling with that hoop around the thigh, and even a little weirder if you've got ankle zips as I do. But I do love my regular Pants-Formers, I still have my first pair, from Columbia, falling apart a little bit, time for another pair, and hey I need shell pants too, so I think I'll try these Red Ledges.

Daniel

P.S. I will call them Pants-Formers from now on!

5:04 a.m. on February 22, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: PANTS-FORMERS!

My "converts" are Columbia too, and I find them quite comfortable. They were too long (I'm 5'3" and pants are always too long), so I removed the ankle zippers, shortened them and left only a flap at the ankle instead of sewing the zippers back (hate sewing zippers).

They can be a little aggravating trying to zip the legs back on while on the trail. I do like the light weight of them and the fast drying properties of the fabric.

I too will call them pantsformers now.

Hikergirl

12:05 p.m. on February 22, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
You know, at your height you could

just wear hip waders secured around your neck. Just think of the possibilities! You would have your boots, pants and shirt all in one package. Easy to get dressed and undressed in the tent, you could go practically anywhere and not get wet or have your skin ripped. Everything is color co-ordinated and you could keep all kinds of supplies at the ready. When it rained, just pull 'em over your head - instant hootch. If you cut eye holes in them and walked around with them over your head, probably scare away the bears and other nasty critters. Of course this is just my opinion. But if you find it to your fancy - send us pictures!

11:46 p.m. on February 22, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hmmm Ed....

You seem to have thought out this hip wader thing quite thoroughly. This wouldn't be due to any personal experience would it now? ;)

5:30 a.m. on February 25, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Heck yea! I even found a way to carry a fridge in my waders! n/m

nm

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply