Where to put tent in Terraplane?

4:40 p.m. on February 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

After a few years of using an old external frame, I broke down and bought a Terraplane LTW. I am getting ready to take it out on its first trip, but was wondering about how to pack the tent. Where do you guys put it? I understand most people put the tent and fly into a compression bag and strap the poles to the outside of the pack. I am nervous about the tent poles being on the outside of the pack and getting bent. Any ideas or is this a risk I just need to live with?

Many thanks,

Steve

7:29 p.m. on February 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Steve - I have been carrying my poles on the outside to the pack for many years now with no problems. When bundled together, you are not going to do much damage to series 6K or 7K aluminum.
as for the tent body & fly, In my astralplane, I keep the tent body in the sleeping bag compartment and the fly at the top of the pack. Comes in handy in a quick storm to wait it out under some sort of shelter thsat you can quickly rig with some string, trees and hiking poles.

If it is summer and I am using a small 40 degree down bag, I keep the whole tent (less poles)in the bottom of the pack and the sleeping bag sitts above it.

Your best bet is to try it and see over the next 5-6 trips - See what is comfortable and easiest to get to.

Quote:

After a few years of using an old external frame, I broke down and bought a Terraplane LTW. I am getting ready to take it out on its first trip, but was wondering about how to pack the tent. Where do you guys put it? I understand most people put the tent and fly into a compression bag and strap the poles to the outside of the pack. I am nervous about the tent poles being on the outside of the pack and getting bent. Any ideas or is this a risk I just need to live with?

Many thanks,

Steve

2:15 p.m. on February 26, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

I put my tent in as one of the last things. I read somewhere to put the heavier items at the top near your shoulders so that's what I do. Here is kind of how I pack...bottom to top.

Sleeping bag in compartment.
Clothes
Gear like cookset, water filter etc.
Food
Tent
Odds and end on top.
I then stuff the rainfly down into the pack to take up dead space.
I put the poles into the side wand pockets.
Strap my sleeping pad outside the sleeping bag compartment.

I was just looking at the instructions from Dana and they say: place the lightest and bulkiest items in the bottom third of the pack bag, the heaviest, most dense items in the middle third as close to your back as possible and medium-weight items in the upper third.

According to Dana I've been packing slightly wrong but it seems to work ok. Try different arrangements on each trip to find what works best for you.

Quote:

Many thanks,

Steve

2:17 p.m. on February 26, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

http://www.danadesign.com/ (for more info...n/t)

Quote:

I put my tent in as one of the last things. I read somewhere to put the heavier items at the top near your shoulders so that's what I do. Here is kind of how I pack...bottom to top.

Sleeping bag in compartment.
Clothes
Gear like cookset, water filter etc.
Food
Tent
Odds and end on top.
I then stuff the rainfly down into the pack to take up dead space.
I put the poles into the side wand pockets.
Strap my sleeping pad outside the sleeping bag compartment.

I was just looking at the instructions from Dana and they say: place the lightest and bulkiest items in the bottom third of the pack bag, the heaviest, most dense items in the middle third as close to your back as possible and medium-weight items in the upper third.

According to Dana I've been packing slightly wrong but it seems to work ok. Try different arrangements on each trip to find what works best for you.

Quote:

Many thanks,

Steve

7:52 p.m. on February 27, 2002 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

Where do you guys put it? I understand most people put the tent and fly into a compression bag and strap the poles to the outside of the pack.

I don't think I like the idea of a compression bag for a tent cause it might damage the tent, but be that as it may...
I roll the poles up inside the tent and then strap the tent on top of the pack under the top flap in the spot made for a sleeping pad. I want to be able to get to the tent without opening the pack to avoid exposing anything inside to possible rain or snow.
The bottom of my pack is always full of sleeping bag and down clothes. Then the cooking stuff and food goes near the top along with any loose clothes. The goretex shells strap outside where I can get to em quickly and the other thing on the outside is my crazy creek chair - us old farts need a good back rest and it makes a back-up sleeping pad incase my down filled sleeping bag pops...
Jim S

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply