tends- polyester or polyamid??????

5:40 a.m. on March 7, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I am looking for a one man tend with maximum weight of 2 kg.
Is it right that polyester is more UV resistent than polyamid? or does it depent on Quality and denier??
At the moment I am thinking of getting the Akto of Hilleberg(Polyamid) or the Microlight from Macpac(Polyester).
do you know any alternativ??

What about one-walltends out of goretex?
Would be great if you could help me, thank you-see you.

7:37 p.m. on March 7, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I can't answer all your questions, but I am fairly certain Polyester is more U.V. resistant. I have also heard that it is more dimensionally stable when wet. In other words it doesn't sag like nylon.

I am not familiar with either tent you are asking about. I am also not aware of any single wall gore-tex tents. Check Bibler for their proprietary ToddTex or whatever.

Check out the website below as it may be of some help to you:

http://www.outdoorreview.com/

6:39 a.m. on March 8, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

The UV-resistance depends on the coating that has been applied. Without coating, polyester indeed is more resistant then polyamid. I believe this also is the case if the manufacturer uses een PU-based coating. But polyamid treated with a silicone coating tends to have better resistance to UV-radiation. And it is stronger because silicone can be applied when it's cold and PU only when it is being warmed and that reduces the tear strength of the fabric. I guess that's pretty important in case of damage.
So you get a fabric that is more UV-resistant, has a higher tear strength and a lower weight.
Hilleberg uses a special kind of polyamid (Kerlon) with a very high tear strength and a silicone coating on both sides. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't doubt.

About single wall tents, I know Bibler makes them and also Integral Designs. Personally, I would take a double walled tent. The waterproof-breathable membrane from single wall tents can only work if you are perfectly able to warm your tent. Because only then, the vapour can translocate from the warm air inside your tent to the cold outside (the temperature difference is the driving force). It's the same principle as a Gore-Tex jacket. That's also why Gore-Tex doesn't work well under warm conditions because then there's no temperature difference and thus no driving force. If you are not able to warm your tent significantly, the vapour will condensate against the wall. The same happens with double walled tents with polyamid canopies. Then to get rid of the vapour, you need circulating air. You can get this by opening the door for instance. In double walled tents, that's no problem because the door is under the fly. In single walled tents, the door is in the fly. No problem if it's dry but if it rains ...... I guess you get the picture.

So in my opinion, a double walled tent with a silicone coated polyamid fabric is the best choice. Hilleberg is good, perhaps there are others.

WB

11:51 a.m. on March 8, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

thank you

thanks for responding that quickly and giving me more information,Ihope i

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply