Boots to replace Asolo 520's ?

1:28 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. tzerk

I am looking for a new pair of boots to replace my Asolo 520's. I liked those boots in every way; they were rugged, well built, water tight and they fit from the first day on. No blisters or hot spots. Unfortunately, the soles, support and waterproof(ness) have had their day and I need to look for a replacement. I could just go out and get another pair, but I always felt like they were too heavy. I do a lot of day hikes and overnighters. I don't do week long trips in the Grand Canyon (although I might someday). I just do trails in the Northeast. Challenging trails, rocky trails, but nothing technical and nothing for more than 2-3 days.

My feet are very middle of the road, but if anything they are narrow. Typical 10 1/2 mens (If it's true what they say, my feet should be at least a 13! Ha!). I need the new boots to be waterproof, supportive and light. I might wear anything from a day pack to a Gregory with 2 days worth of gear. I want the soles to grip since I like to go up and hike ridgeline trails. I also kind of like hiking in the rain. I like the idea of one piece leather. I don't like those boots with a bunch of sewing and patches here and there, but I will live with it if the boots kick ass. I want these boots to last as long as my Asolo's (5 years).

If you need more info in order to help me out, email me or post the questions here and I will get back to you. I will be buying these boots for a multiple day hike, 4-day weekend in April (does that make sense?). Thanks.

-Miehoff

1:39 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Sounds to me like you are describing the Zamberlan Civetta IIs that I got for Christmas. Try on a pair of these and if you like the fit, you're good to go. Several reviews on this site cover the earlier Civettas, check 'em out. When my wife bought mine, the salesman claimed that he had never had a pair of Zamberlans come back for workmanship.

Good luck,

1:50 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

There are Civetta RR's and GT's. Is it one of those?
They look good.

Quote:

Sounds to me like you are describing the Zamberlan Civetta IIs that I got for Christmas. Try on a pair of these and if you like the fit, you're good to go. Several reviews on this site cover the earlier Civettas, check 'em out. When my wife bought mine, the salesman claimed that he had never had a pair of Zamberlans come back for workmanship.

Good luck,

1:58 p.m. on March 28, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

There are Civetta RR's and GT's. Is it one of those?
They look good.

GT's. I think I read somewhere that the RRs are the European version.

I also recommend after market inserts, such as superfeet. I think Zamberlan and other mfctrs assume that everyone will be replacing the factory inserts so they are little more than window dressing. Funny when I think of all the boots I wore out when the only inserts that were commonnly available were "odor eaters" and used no inserts at all. Call it technological dependence, but I now have 2 sets of custom molded superfeet and wear them every day. I can't imagine going without them, so I'm glad to have 'em.

8:36 a.m. on April 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Miehoff - if you like the 520's, you'll probably like the 535's and the Cerro Torre's. I am moving from the Cerro Torre's (still going strong after 300+ miles). They were a bit snug (my mistake - I couldn't get the 1/2 size, so thought I'd get by. A mistake I'll not likely do again). Just got the 535's Saturday, and so far, so good. Nice thing about them - they do not have a Gore-Tex liner, which will make them much cooler for the summer season. They are about 7 ounces lighter than the 520's (per pair), at 3 lbs 4 ounces for my size 10's. The Cerro Torre's are more than adequate for backpacking. I've done many trips in the Whites with 45 lbs on my back. Good ankle support, and a lightweight feel (they are the same weight as the 535's). They now only come with a Gore Tex liner (mine dod not have it)

BTW - how did you make out with your sleeping bag? Did you go with the Backside? - SherpaK

8:52 a.m. on April 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Sleeping Bag

The 535's look good. The Cerro Torre's don't have the one piece leather that I like in a boot. 535's are water tight? I would like to get away from gore tex. Are they cheaper since they don't use that product?

The sleeping bag got put on hold since the VFTT folks decided not to do a night outside during the winter gathering. Now I am looking to replace my very well used 20 degree EMS bag (kind of always hated it anyway). Was thinking of something down, since it compresses and is light, but I am worried about the moisture problem with down, so I am flip flopping around.

Quote:

Miehoff - if you like the 520's, you'll probably like the 535's and the Cerro Torre's. I am moving from the Cerro Torre's (still going strong after 300+ miles). They were a bit snug (my mistake - I couldn't get the 1/2 size, so thought I'd get by. A mistake I'll not likely do again). Just got the 535's Saturday, and so far, so good. Nice thing about them - they do not have a Gore-Tex liner, which will make them much cooler for the summer season. They are about 7 ounces lighter than the 520's (per pair), at 3 lbs 4 ounces for my size 10's. The Cerro Torre's are more than adequate for backpacking. I've done many trips in the Whites with 45 lbs on my back. Good ankle support, and a lightweight feel (they are the same weight as the 535's). They now only come with a Gore Tex liner (mine dod not have it)

BTW - how did you make out with your sleeping bag? Did you go with the Backside? - SherpaK

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply