About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

ZEUS EXO by EUREKA!

11:36 a.m. on April 12, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Does anyone have any information on this tent? It is new and I can't find any reviews. My boys are in Scouts and are getting ready to go on a 50 mile backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail this July. I want a lightweight tent but I also want one that is durable. I definitly want one that will not leak, and that will withstand some wind. This is all new to me and I really don't know what to look for. I would like to stay under $200, but may go a little over if I really need to in order to get a decent tent that will last a very long time. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it. Thanks

2:50 p.m. on April 12, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Wow! Will you adopt me?.....

That's pretty special of a mom to spend $150.00+ for a tent for the kids! Especially since it may not be used that much. I backpack only about four times a year (equates to about 17 nights in a tent) and I trust my faithfull $60 Camp Trails White Lake tent.

There is a post below that has the link to the Johnson site where you can get some info.

8:10 a.m. on April 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. DJ

I think you are quite right to get a good tent. It will last for years and the misery of sleeping in the rain in a cheap tent is not worth the money saved, in my opinion.
The EXO series is single walled I believe, which is why it is so light. I think these are neat new tents but I have no idea how durable etc. they are because they are so new. They may not ventilate very well being single walled
You might consider looking at LLBean's Microlight series of tents... not freestanding (you have to stake them out to make them work) but I have heard very good things about them.
You can also look at various 2-person freestanding tents since your sons can split carrying the tent between them in two loads. (freestanding tents are heavier).
If it were me, I'd look for 2-person freestanding tents by good companies (Sierra Designs, North Face, Mountain Hardwear to name a few) ON SALE. I would check Sierra trading post. If you can get a good tent on sale it will be a great investment.

GOOD LUCK

11:10 p.m. on April 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Wow! Will you adopt me?.....

I do appreciate your advice. Would you believe this scout group camps out every month. If I am not mistaken, they didn't miss a single month throughout the winter. They don't just camp in a local pasture either. I was told by another parent that they camped out in 15 degree wind chills one time. I hate to spend any amount of money and have a problem with it whether it is $60 or $200. I believe the tent will be used a lot. My boys are 11 & 14. I definitly wouldn't consider an expensive tent if they were younger. I already have 3 boys (counting my husband), so I think I'll pass on the adoption. Thanks!

2:13 p.m. on April 14, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Alps Mountaineering

Try out www.alpsmountaineering.com. They have special programs for scouts. The Mystique should fit the bill for $140. I own 2 of their sleeping bags and my daughter uses one of their packs. All have performed well, and I would recommend them as a lower cost, well made outfitter. On top of all that, they are real nice folks to deal with! Good Luck - SherpaKroto

7:01 p.m. on April 14, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi Grace-
I bought the Eureka Zeus about a month ago. It's a great new design and it works well. You can't beat the 3 lb 10 oz weight- it sets up fast and easy and seems very durable. I've had it outside a few nights and although it's single wall, the ventilation works well. Even in the snow, I had less condensation frozen on the inside than my buddy's expensive four season tent we used mountaineering last month. It's strong enough to stand up to snow and the design sheds well. I recommend it.
Don

Quote:

Does anyone have any information on this tent? It is new and I can't find any reviews. My boys are in Scouts and are getting ready to go on a 50 mile backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail this July. I want a lightweight tent but I also want one that is durable. I definitly want one that will not leak, and that will withstand some wind. This is all new to me and I really don't know what to look for. I would like to stay under $200, but may go a little over if I really need to in order to get a decent tent that will last a very long time. If anyone has any info I would appreciate it. Thanks

7:35 a.m. on April 15, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Alps Mountaineering

I agree on ALPS equipment. Check their site for the scouting deals. I have used a Taurus3 for 2 years with no negatives to report.

6:20 a.m. on April 16, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Sorry, but the ZEUS EXO by EUREKA! is by no means a cheap tent....

it is single walled, but designed with modern technology. I would prefer it to the ones you mentioned. Lightweight, easy set up (even in the dark) and able to withstand almost any weather condition - keeping the occupants comfortable. What more can you ask in a tent at a reasonable price (especially since it will see a fair amount of use_?

7:08 a.m. on April 16, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: All advice & comments

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. You have definitely helped me in some ways although I still haven't made a decision on a tent. I'll admit I have a tough time with decisions like this anyway. I will sure let you know what I do get when I get one. But after all this research and a little stress, I found out last nite that the boys don't need their own tent for the AT trip in July because they will be using troop tents. I will be getting a tent for other trips anyway, but for some reason I don't feel as stressed about the decison. I love this website anyway. It is very interesting to say the least! Thanks again guys!

8:16 p.m. on April 16, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Sorry, but the ZEUS EXO by EUREKA! is by no means a cheap tent....

uh, OK.

Quote:

it is single walled, but designed with modern technology. I would prefer it to the ones you mentioned. Lightweight, easy set up (even in the dark) and able to withstand almost any weather condition - keeping the occupants comfortable. What more can you ask in a tent at a reasonable price (especially since it will see a fair amount of use_?

7:00 p.m. on August 14, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Grace: I have investigated a lot of tents and our Troop is serious about the Zeus EXO. Trouble is we cannot find them on sale ( available ) before 15 October--from the Scouts or anyone else. Got any ideas / We have two trips planned before then.

S.D. Latham
Troops 80

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply