So I

6:06 a.m. on May 6, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
You gotta carry a firearm? That sucks. n/m

n/m

12:37 p.m. on May 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Is Mont Bell still available? I thought they went out of business. If you know a supplier, would you mind sharing it?

7:57 p.m. on May 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I kinda doubt he packs it everywhere.

I'm glad to know he has it. I rarely pack one along but I do take comfort in knowing I have it when I do. Most folks are very responsible except when it comes the real dangers like loose dogs.

8:15 p.m. on May 8, 2002 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Out West here we like to pack...

Quote:

I'm glad to know he has it. I rarely pack one along but I do take comfort in knowing I have it when I do.

I often backpack with a sidearm especially in Alaska. I spend a lot of time in really rugged isolated country alone and my sidearm comforts me though I am aware of it limits. We have mountain lions, bear, and wild pigs in California, not to mention loose dogs and crazy people. In a lot of places its just plain stupid to be un-armed.

But mostly I like to carry a huge 6 shooter in a western holster strapped to ma leg. (;->)

It also appears that the justice department has filed something indicating that the federal government has reversed its old anti gun stance and now admits that individuals DO have the right not only to own guns but to Bear arms!
Jim (:->)

11:47 a.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Tell me about the wild pigs.....

I have been doing some volunteer work for a state park that is going eco-touristy here in Florida. I have been laying out the hiking trails for them. Rumours flying everywhere about the hundreds of wild pigs they have living there and how mean they are and how they are ready to rip your arms off and chew up your face. I haven't seen any of them myself. When I do finally come across them, do I really need to be concerned or is it a thing were if I am not bothering them - they won't bother me. I know to give way to the baby pigs and stay clear.

I frequently go camping on a Atlantic coast border island. Boars and wild pigs are there too. If have come close to them by accident while bushwacking. Once they saw me they just ran the other direction.

Jim gimme some of that good piggie advice.

No, I will not carry a firearm (I would fight for and believe in, a persons right to carry one, but I refuse). I have protected myself in the past from attacking wild dogs using a well grooved "Mai-geri" front kick to the jaw.

5:55 p.m. on May 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Tell me about the wild pigs.....

Ed,
I

12:36 a.m. on May 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Some areas where I walk are very badly damaged by pigs. I haven't seen any myself but lots of folk I know have. There was also a recent discussion on a local (Australian) NG about pig danger. The general discussion went that lots of people had seen them, or heard them rooting around at night, but no-one knew of any incident that they actually attacked anyone. Lots of stories of pigs running away though.

4:07 p.m. on May 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Appears that the stories we hear of pigs/boars attacking are nothing other than... pig tales.

9:05 p.m. on May 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

another tale

Quote:

Appears that the stories we hear of pigs/boars attacking are nothing other than... pig tales.

Yes and no...I have a friend who originally came from an island near Papua New Guinea. He has lost more than one family member to wild boars, but only because they hunt them in a pretty low tech way (i.e. often just spears or maybe a shotgun). Again, the way he tells it,the boars only attack because they are cornered.

8:04 p.m. on May 12, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts
Pig story

As Jim S said, we have lots of feral pigs in the local hills, and they seem to be multiplying like rabbits. The rangers in the local parks say that the sows do get pretty nasty if you cut them off from the piglets and recommend giving wide berth. It is a problem for orienteering, since we have orienteering meets in the local parks that have pigs about every two weeks (and no, it wasn't because of the pigs that Jim S broke his leg in multiple places during his very first, and so far only, orienteering meet - it was a giant redwood that got in his way).

Anyway, every year in June, ham radio operators have an event called Field Day. The procedure is to set up camp somewhere and operate the radios by as non-commercial power source as possible. Sometimes this is portable generators, but things like pedal power (stationary bicycle driving the generator), solar, wind, etc. get extra points in the contest. The idea is to get practice for communications in natural and manmade disasters. No, the originators did not have the California power crisis in mind, but it is good practice for things like that, too.

The club that Barb and I belong to used to set up camp in Grant Park, in the foothills of Mt. Hamilton. Grant has _lots_ of wild boar. I really mean, LOTS of boar. Now, Field Day operates 24 hours a day over the weekend that it is held. I had taken my first turn in the early evening and hit the sack to rest a bit for my next round set for 4AM. About 1AM, we were awakened by some loud noises and peered out the door of the tent to discover this very large and ugly pig (if you haven't seen one, it's hard to describe how ugly and mean looking feral pigs are). The hog was taller at the shoulder than the table. He/she (I wasn't about to check closely) had discovered some food that someone had left on the table from supper. After a bit of noisy feeding, the beast wandered into the night, so we settled down. Bob, the person working the radios, was about 200 feet away, under an awning, with fairly bright lights, giving the standard request for contacts "CQ Field Day, CQ Field Day, ..." Suddenly we heard a loud scream, and looked out to see Bob fleeing into the night in one direction and the hog fleeing in the other direction, both squealing loudly. In his later description, Bob said he heard someone approaching from behind, but thought it was one of the group. He had turned to see who it was (he was seated at a picnic table covered with radio gear), to find the pig's snout right in his face. Apparently neither Bob nor the pig was physically harmed, but Bob refused to operate the radio any more that night and spent the rest of the night in his car. The next year, he strongly urged that we use a different location, which in fact we did.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply