?Qs for Polar Pure users?

11:07 p.m. on May 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I know it is temp-dependent, but I like to know how many qt of water can you treat everytime you fill up your 4oz bottle. And, do you know the volume of the bottle cap? Thanks in advance. :-))

12:20 a.m. on May 7, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Actually, it is the time that is temperature dependent, not the number of quarts of water. You should refill the water in the PP bottle each time you treat a quart of water, rather than depleting from a fillup at home. What happens is that the iodine crystals in the PolarPure bottle form a saturated solution of iodine in water, leaving a fair amount of crystals still as solid crystals in the bottle. Keeping the bottle in your pocket (or at least in a warm place, which means just your pack in summer) insures that the solution comes back to saturation quickly. Then, when you empty a capful into your liter water bottle, you can pour a bit of water back into the PP bottle and it will saturate for the next time.

I suppose what you are really asking is how many capsful are there in the PP bottle. If I recall right (I use the tablets these days), it is about 10 capsful. When we had a crew of 8 at Philmont, we were able to top off a liter bottle for everybody at the stream with one of our two PolarPure bottles, without refilling the bottle. We never had to use both bottles. I think there were enough crystals for several hundred liters of water treatment. Anyway, as soon as we topped everyone off, we refilled the PolarPure bottle. You don't need purified water to do the refill, since the iodine saturated solution kills everything off pretty quickly.

10:00 a.m. on May 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

More Qs on 2 I-tabs/qt vs. 1 tab

Thanks Bill... the All-Knowing Old Greybeard :-)

I am trying to find a quick and easy way to chemically treat 9 climbers x 2 Qt = 18 Qt at a time. We'll be at the N Palisade/Big Pine at the Memorial-Day week. I already have the PristineWater-ClO2 and I'm looking into a backup method, hence my PP questions. I think PP cannot be ship to CA, do you know why?

We have no problem with using I-tabs, but the current direction on the bottle is 2 I-tabs/Qt + extra time (vs. the direction on the old label). I know this dose has a bigger punch in killing Giardia and may be the Crypto, but what a bummer when one can only treat 25 Qt/vial. However, I still use 1 I-tab/Qt at remote coastal regions of the Great Lakes.
What's your take? 1-tab or 2?? Is there any legal reason to precipitate this change?

8:32 p.m. on May 8, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts
Re: More Qs on 2 I-tabs/qt vs. 1 tab

Haven't looked at the directions on the bottles with the thought of memorizing them. Anything resembling medical, I always read the directions twice, do the dosage, then read again to make sure that in my befuzzled state I haven't screwed up. Did they change the amount of active ingredient (candidate for Consumer Reports - "Now, more tablets!", except that for the same price you get less total active ingredient)???? I would go with the recommended dosage/time/temperature to be on the safe side. The pills aren't all that expensive compared to other expenses of any backcountry trip (compare the cost of a gallon of gas with a bottle of iodine tablets, particularly at a Bishop or Big Pine gas station).

Then again, I mostly use either a filter or boil (boiling the cooking water, not the on-trail drinking water). As I mentioned earlier, at Philmont, we topped off the Polar Pure pretty much at each refill of a water bottle. If the PP bottle was reasonably warm (usually carried in a pants pocket), the solution saturated pretty quickly.

Your comment about PP not shipping to Calif - seems to me I have seen it in stores within the past few months, but I don't guarantee that.

4:36 a.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

"It is a violation of Federal law..." here we go again...

"to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Add 2 tablets to 1 quart or liter of water..."
According to Coghlan's, they changed the direction in '98 or '99. $5 for 25 qt!! I'm switching to PolarPure and chlorine dioxide. Thanks again for your reply. :-))

6:27 p.m. on June 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I know it is temp-dependent, but I like to know how many qt of water can you treat everytime you fill up your 4oz bottle. And, do you know the volume of the bottle cap? Thanks in advance. :-))

since it is temp dependent, it is impossible to tell you how many qts of h2o you will get from each full bottle. some temps only need 1 cap, others 2 or 3.

i have used this system for 4 years now and would not use anything else. goog luck

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply