Taped seams on tent. Do they still need to be sealed?....

10:43 a.m. on May 8, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I am seriously looking into the Eureka Zeus 2 Exo tent. One person stated in an earlier comment that the seams come taped. Is additional sealing required? Anyone try one of these tents in the field yet? Whatcha think of it?

12:39 p.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I am seriously looking into the Eureka Zeus 2 Exo tent. One person stated in an earlier comment that the seams come taped. Is additional sealing required? Anyone try one of these tents in the field yet? Whatcha think of it?

I was looking at the Eureka Zeus Exo 2 for my boys for scouting as you may remember. I still think it sounds like a great tent, but we didn't go with it simply because I was informed that the fly is not removable and the vestibule was small for 2 packs. I was also informed in my research that the tent still has great ventilation even though the fly is not removable. As far as the taped seams, we ended up going with an REI for the same price as the Zeus which also has taped seams. The guys at REI said the only areas that needed to be sealed are where there are velcro pieces sewn into the seams. They said if there are any leaks after that, then it is a defective tent and needs to be brought back. After looking at the seams, I can see why there would be no need for sealing. The tape itself is definitely a heavy duty seal applied after the stitching is done. We just applied seam sealer behind the velcro strips. I am sure the Eureka seams are just as great. And I think it still has no competition in the weight category. If we get another, we may still go with the Zeus.

1:47 p.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Thank you Grace! What was the weight of the tent you ended up with?...

weight is my primary concern. I don't care if the fly is removable and I'm the only one in the tent. I imagine the taped seams are pretty much the same as a gore - tex rain suit and those sure don't need sealed! Good idea about sealing the stitching in the velcro areas.

7:09 p.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I don't know the Zeus specifically but generally a tent that is factory seam sealed is ready to go into the backcountry "as is". But you should still set up your tent in your yard and spray it real good with a garden hose to be sure. Based on Grace's comments it sounds like this tent has vecro strips used to attach the fly to the poles. My experience (which jives with Grace's saleman's comments) is these are the spots that will leak first. But that should only happen after several trips.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was looking at the Eureka Zeus Exo 2 for my boys for scouting as you may remember. I still think it sounds like a great tent, but we didn't go with it simply because I was informed that the fly is not removable and the vestibule was small for 2 packs. I was also informed in my research that the tent still has great ventilation even though the fly is not removable. As far as the taped seams, we ended up going with an REI for the same price as the Zeus which also has taped seams. The guys at REI said the only areas that needed to be sealed are where there are velcro pieces sewn into the seams. They said if there are any leaks after that, then it is a defective tent and needs to be brought back. After looking at the seams, I can see why there would be no need for sealing. The tape itself is definitely a heavy duty seal applied after the stitching is done. We just applied seam sealer behind the velcro strips. I am sure the Eureka seams are just as great. And I think it still has no competition in the weight category. If we get another, we may still go with the Zeus.

8:43 p.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Jim S and Bill S seam seal Biblers

Bill and I both seam sealed our very pricey factory hot taped Bibler El Dorado tents, not because they are poorly made, but because the extra protection for the seams plus the redundant water proofing makes the tent "bomber".
Use Seam Grip and mix in some catalyst otherwise it will take forever to dry, get where you don't want it, and maybe even glue yer tent into ogegami!!!
Jim S

6:12 a.m. on May 10, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
I can see the brush in hand as we speak! Thanx. n/m

n/m

6:14 a.m. on May 10, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Thanx. Tent doesn't have a fly, but hosing it isn't a bad idea - after I seal it that is!. nm

nm

11:25 a.m. on May 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Thank you Grace! What was the weight of the tent you ended up with?...

We ended up going with an REI Half Dome Plus. Total packed weight is 5 lb 9 oz. I wanted the Zeus, but my 14 yr old who will be using it most of the time wanted a removable rain fly. He was eyeing a 6 lb 10 oz tent which was also more expensive. So we compromised and went with the REI. It does look like a great tent though.

5:42 p.m. on May 12, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts
To follow up on Jim ...

Several of the tent and clothing manufacturers that tape their seams include a statement in their hangtag information that recommends seam sealing as a backup and a way of prolonging the waterproof life of the item. Strictly speaking, it is not necessary. One of the requirements that Gore has for using their "extreme" rating is that seams be taped and demonstrated in sample items to be waterproof under some specific set of conditions. But, as I have found, sooner or later, the tape will come loose - later if you seam sealed the edges of the tape and exposed side of the seams, sooner if you pack the item away wet and dirty. Even seam sealing needs to be renewed from time to time.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply