Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Wilderness

8:44 p.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm looking to make a short 3-4 day backpacking trip with some friends to this area after a business trip in Atlanta. Does anyone have any specific recommendations on loops/trails and other cool things to see around the area? We want to stay within about 2-1/2 hours of Atlanta to minimize wasted time on the road and to be able to get back to the Airport fairly quickly.

Thanks up front,

Scott

9:18 a.m. on May 15, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

When are you going? Also, most access points to Joyce Kilmer are over 3 hours outside of Atlanta.

The only trails I've done are the Slickrock Creek Trail and the short way up to Straton Bald.

Slickrock trail (starting by the dam) is a gorgeous hike with many creek crossings. There are two amazing waterfalls along the trail that have great swimming holes. Wildcat falls...and I forget the name of the other one.

Also, near there is the grove of big trees.

Quote:

I'm looking to make a short 3-4 day backpacking trip with some friends to this area after a business trip in Atlanta. Does anyone have any specific recommendations on loops/trails and other cool things to see around the area? We want to stay within about 2-1/2 hours of Atlanta to minimize wasted time on the road and to be able to get back to the Airport fairly quickly.

Thanks up front,

Scott

6:36 p.m. on May 15, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I hate advertising great places like this, but

You may try looking at a few days in the Cohutta Wilderness which is located Northwest of Ellijay GA and continues into Tennessee as the Big Frog Wilderness. There is a plethora of trails to chose from. If it

1:20 p.m. on May 16, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M
The cohutta do not exist! kidding...

Just kidding....

I pretty much second what Adam said. The Cohutta are closer to Atlanta than Joyce Kilmer and is the stomping ground I frequent the most. You will have to drive on FS roads but this is not a big deal if it's dry. Even if wet you should be able to get around in any type of vehicle.

More people go to the Jacks than Conasauga side....I've never been to Big Frog...but it sounds good too.

Quote:

You may try looking at a few days in the Cohutta Wilderness which is located Northwest of Ellijay GA and continues into Tennessee as the Big Frog Wilderness. There is a plethora of trails to chose from. If it

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply