MSR Fusion 2 tent

7:58 p.m. on May 20, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new MSR Fusion 2 convertable tent yet ? I am considering one for 3-4 season use in Kentucky and surrounding area with my son's boy scout troop. I plan on using it primarily as a one man tent (plus some gear) but am somewhat concerned if there is adequate ventilation during the warmer months when high humidity is common. I know this tent will keep the rain out, but condensation is still a concern.
The other tent I am considering is the Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 2 which would be superior in warmer weather and higher humidity but is definately not a winter tent.
I don't mind spending some money on a top quality tent, but can't hardly justify buying two tents right now....decisions, decisions, decisions ! Any comments or suggestions from anyone please ???
Thanks,
Stuart

4:25 a.m. on May 21, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new MSR Fusion 2 convertable tent yet ? I am considering one for 3-4 season use in Kentucky and surrounding area with my son's boy scout troop. I plan on using it primarily as a one man tent (plus some gear) but am somewhat concerned if there is adequate ventilation during the warmer months when high humidity is common. I know this tent will keep the rain out, but condensation is still a concern.

Some things I've noticed in my own research (I just bought the MSR fury) ... the fusion seemed well vented. If I recall correctly as well as a large door it had a large roof vent. If you leave both of these open completely or just use their fly-screen I can't see you having any more trouble in the fusion than in many other tents. and... if the fusion is built anything like the fury it seems pretty indestructible!

If there's only one of you in the tent and you sleep with your head towards the door I really doubt the condensation will be any different to any other tent.

I looked at the Mtn. Hardwear Trango and Assault... they're both Nylon fly-ed (I assume the same of the one you mention?) so maybe not good when its wet although you can always pull them more taut when it rains. However the Nylon is a bit more elastic in strong winds than poly and so might be more resistant to tearing. If you're just using it for scouts I really doubt this will be of concern. Actually if the mtn. hardwear tent is not for winter alpine use anyway then it will make no difference.

Hope that has been of some help!

Alan.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply