Best Gregory pack?

10:36 a.m. on May 28, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Dangerjudy, DANGERJUDY

I used a Palisade this weekend and loved it. I am also interested in the Forester. What are the major differences between the two packs?
Also, if anyone has a recommendation of another pack by other companies I'm interested. Want it for up to 7 day treks on AT.

6:42 p.m. on May 28, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I used a Palisade this weekend and loved it. I am also interested in the Forester. What are the major differences between the two packs?
Also, if anyone has a recommendation of another pack by other companies I'm interested. Want it for up to 7 day treks on AT.

I currently own 6 packs 2 older Mountainsmiths 1 real old TNF and 3 Gregorys one of which is a Forester , very comfortable and more than lg enough for a summer week in the Adirondacks, the only negative is for its capacity the suspension is a little light but as I have been doing everything possible to lighten my pack (within safety limits)it positively fits the bill, just keep it at 40 lbs Max.

12:43 p.m. on May 31, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I bought the shasta pack last yr by gregory, i would'nt trade it for anything, comfortable as anything, the palasade is its sister pack with a pocket on the back...dont buy any other pack.

12:51 p.m. on June 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. me

i currently use the gregory banshee (3000ci/4lb6oz). this is a great pack overall. im somewhat of a lighweight hiker, i have my base weight down to 16 lbs + food/water. i usually carry 22 lbs in this pack for a 3 day trip. i would highly recommend this pack to anyone. the gregory harness is very comfortable, as all of their packs fit very well. the only thing i didnt like about the pack is the weight. i thought the weight for the pack size was a bit heavy, im my opinion. there is the mountainsmith ghost (3000 ci/2.5 lbs.) and several other lightweight packs out there. i removed everthing i could from the pack to reduce weight: trimmed straps, removed the middle strap from the lid removed ice axe loops and ski holders, drilled holes evenly through the aluminum stay. this got the weight quite a bit (3lbs 15oz) for winter and i take the lid off for summer (3lbs 8 oz). anyway, look at all the packs and get one thats right for your needs, conditions. ive been backpacking for 8 years, i stared out carrying between 50-70 lbs on overnight trips. i would be so exhausted and only hike in about 3-4 miles with minimal elevation gain. an average hike now consists of 8-12 miles 3-4k elevation, and i feel less fatigued than i did before. its nice getting into camp and still having a bounce in your step. happy hiking.

9:40 a.m. on July 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

If you like Gregory and trimming weight, the Makalu Pro is a good pack. It's well over 4000 cu. in. and less than 5 lbs. It can easily carry 50 lbs if necessary. Expensive though.

Quote:

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply