ANOTHER QUESTION: SOLO TENTS

7:07 p.m. on May 28, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Dangerjudy, DANGERJUDY

I've been looking at three solo tents: Eureka Exo, Walrus Zoid 1.5, or the S.D. Clip Flashlight. I really would like
to try that Exo, but there aren't any here to rent or even see in the store, and I am also impressed by the Zoid.
I've used the Clip Flashlight with another person, and it's a great tent, but I'd like to go as light as I can and still keep my pack out of the elements a la vestibule.
It's hard to make a decision without getting in the tent, but if anyone has any pro/cons about these three tents, please post.

7:47 a.m. on May 29, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Three good choices. I have the 2 man EXO but haven't used it in the field yet. It should serve me well I hope. Vestibule is a bit small for packs, more like for boots, etc. Ventilation and condensation in July are my big concerns.

The SD is truly a classic. Isn't self supporting though. Big plus is that REI has the 2001 model for only $139!

Good luck!

9:47 a.m. on May 29, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I own an MSR Zoid 1 and a MSR Sentinel Expedition tent.

Both are very light and bombproof.

The Zoid 1 is extremely light and ventilates very nicely. Recently I spent a night on Lafayette in the Whites above tree level and the temps got down to below 0. A storm blew through with freezing rain and rain mixed. Was perfectly dry in the morning.

The Sentinel is great. Have been caught in snow, ice, rain and never got wet. The ventilation sucks though. I always wake up with moisture all over. But never any pools of water. Only other downside is the shape of the actual tent. It's hard to get a good sized air mattress laid out. I can only get the Cascade Guide Lite Long to fit (and obviouslly smaller pads)

Quote:

I've been looking at three solo tents: Eureka Exo, Walrus Zoid 1.5, or the S.D. Clip Flashlight. I really would like
to try that Exo, but there aren't any here to rent or even see in the store, and I am also impressed by the Zoid.
I've used the Clip Flashlight with another person, and it's a great tent, but I'd like to go as light as I can and still keep my pack out of the elements a la vestibule.
It's hard to make a decision without getting in the tent, but if anyone has any pro/cons about these three tents, please post.

11:50 a.m. on May 29, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Can you pitch the fly without the inside tent?

That is one of the consideration when I bought my used Coleman Cobra/Inyo2 tent. It is a cheap clone of the Zoid. I tie a cord between the tips of the main pole just to maintain its shape, and I slide it under the fly. Now, I have a tarp-tent for 2 that is under 2lb. Good luck. :-)

3:48 a.m. on May 30, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Just one more to confuse you I highly rec. the REI half dome at $149. (it can be fast packed fly only) I have a cobra terrible venting and saggy I added center material for a third pole great help,Ive made my own ripstop tarp for when my son and hounds come along, now in ref to the zeus exo I just had a hard time believing that they finally found the right combination of venting to alleviate all the condensation as I have seen in Every single wall tent unless it was winter plus if a rip occurs did I bring enough duct tape.

6:37 a.m. on May 30, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Quote:

Just one more to confuse you I highly rec. the REI half dome at $149. (it can be fast packed fly only) I have a cobra terrible venting and saggy I added center material for a third pole great help,Ive made my own ripstop tarp for when my son and hounds come along, now in ref to the zeus exo I just had a hard time believing that they finally found the right combination of venting to alleviate all the condensation as I have seen in Every single wall tent unless it was winter plus if a rip occurs did I bring enough duct tape.

The rip situation is a good example of something I hadn't thought of!
I really really would like to get a Zoid 1.5 but they are not to be found anymore. I even wrote MSR (who now owns the Walrus line) and told them they should start making the 1.5 sans titanium again! So I might go for the Zoid 2. I think the Zoid 1 has too small a vestibule for my pack (actually if the 2 does as well someone speak up!). I like the Zoid's doorway design better than the front entry style a la Clip Flashlight.
I live in the Southeast so condensation is always an issue. I think I will pass on the Exo Zeus right now but if I get a chance to check one out in person or rent one for the field I'd like to. You can never have too many tents, right? ;-)

6:41 a.m. on May 30, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Oh yeah - and then, there's the LLBean Microlight. Any thoughts? Is the vestibule big enough for my pack?

Quote:

7:39 a.m. on May 30, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The rip situation is a good example of something I hadn't thought of!
I really really would like to get a Zoid 1.5 but they are not to be found anymore. I even wrote MSR (who now owns the Walrus line) and told them they should start making the 1.5 sans titanium again! So I might go for the Zoid 2. I think the Zoid 1 has too small a vestibule for my pack (actually if the 2 does as well someone speak up!). I like the Zoid's doorway design better than the front entry style a la Clip Flashlight.
I live in the Southeast so condensation is always an issue. I think I will pass on the Exo Zeus right now but if I get a chance to check one out in person or rent one for the field I'd like to. You can never have too many tents, right? ;-)

Well, I take it back about the Zoid 1 - I think the vestibule will be big enough, and I think I am going to get it.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply