Trekking Poles

5:45 p.m. on May 29, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Two questions, please: Is there a big difference between the better-known names like Leki or Komperdell, and others? I really don't want to spend a fortune. Also, I've decided against anti-shock as I think the extra "give" won't help me in my quest for better balance. Is this a mistake? I'm having the worst time trying to find used poles - any suggestions? (Okay, THREE questions!) Thanks in advance...

11:01 p.m. on May 29, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

1. Yes there is a difference..strength, durability,available parts and service. Ask any thruhiker who was at Trail Days..Leki
2. The springs are shock/impact reducers and are proven by many miles. Stabilty with the springs is actually better than without...less skid on rocks. You will not notice the springs after 2-3 uses. They do turn off but few do so.
3. Used poles? Rare, but people do upgrade. Check local dealers for used demo stock as they 'turn' them periodically so they look good.
I understand that price is an issue, but you get what you pay for. I've never heard of anyone complaining about the price while using them....only b*tching when the cheap stuff fails!
Good luck

Quote:

Two questions, please: Is there a big difference between the better-known names like Leki or Komperdell, and others? I really don't want to spend a fortune. Also, I've decided against anti-shock as I think the extra "give" won't help me in my quest for better balance. Is this a mistake? I'm having the worst time trying to find used poles - any suggestions? (Okay, THREE questions!) Thanks in advance...

8:58 a.m. on May 30, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. John
Black Diamond FlickLock Trekking Poles $34.97 at Campmor

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=49327

Great deal on a brand name trekking pole. FlickLock poles will (in my opinion) handle wear and tear better than twist adjustments. No anti-shock on these poles but tough to beat at this price. I bought a pair for my girlfriend and she has been very happy with them. The baskets are small (and inadequate for winter hiking), but larger baskets can be purchased (I've seen them for under $6). My poles don't have the anti-shock, and do tend to bounce/slip of rock if I place them hastily, but otherwise they do just fine and I have been extremely happy with them. The slipping has never caused me to wish I had bought the anti-shock.

7:44 p.m. on May 30, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Black Diamond FlickLock Trekking Poles $34.97 at Campmor

I've looked at the BD poles on the web, but can't find a description of the tips - are they serrated, or pointed? The price is right, but your note about skittering on rock has me nervous (lots of boulders here in Western Sierra). Thanks.

11:17 p.m. on May 30, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I've looked at the BD poles on the web, but can't find a description of the tips - are they serrated, or pointed? The price is right, but your note about skittering on rock has me nervous (lots of boulders here in Western Sierra). Thanks.

They have a 'star' pattern on their tips. Seem to hold
moderately well on rock, though I prefer to use the rubbery
tips that come with the poles when on any surface other than
snow/ice. Much more certain than metal tips on rock, and
leaves less visible marks in soil.

My wife liked these poles so much when I got them that she
immediately ordered some for herself -- of course, we have
used hiking poles without shock absorbers for years, and
find the lower weight and simplicity quite tolerable.
The FlickLocks are much easier to deal with when wearing
gloves than the twist-locks, too.

12:20 a.m. on May 31, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

I do not recommend rubber tips for anything but road walking and transport.
The carbide tips are by far the most secure for trail and rock.
re, springs and skittering, ever ride a bike with and without shocks?
Elder

Quote:

Quote:

They have a 'star' pattern on their tips. Seem to hold
moderately well on rock, though I prefer to use the rubbery
tips that come with the poles when on any surface other than
snow/ice. Much more certain than metal tips on rock, and
leaves less visible marks in soil.

My wife liked these poles so much when I got them that she
immediately ordered some for herself -- of course, we have
used hiking poles without shock absorbers for years, and
find the lower weight and simplicity quite tolerable.
The FlickLocks are much easier to deal with when wearing
gloves than the twist-locks, too.

1:25 p.m. on May 31, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. John
Skittering is quite minimal

Kegbo,
I probably overstated the skittering effect. I merely meant to imply that the poles may skitter more than similar poles with an anti-shock tip, but I don't know as I have never used the anti-shock poles. I can say that I have never taken a tumble when using these poles (some 250-300 miles on them now). The poles do have the serrated, star-shaped tip, and I highly recommend them.
John

3:10 p.m. on May 31, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks everyone....

All, I appreciate your replies, and I bought the poles today. As a novice day-hiker with bad balance (I'm the laughing stock of my yoga class) I know these will be a big help. Maybe I'll upgrade in the future. Thanks to all who replied. I've learned so much from auditing this board. Kegbo

9:03 p.m. on June 3, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Northpirate

I used Leki Makalu Antishock Trekking Poles (made for Campmor; $75) in White Mts. and Canyonlands N.P. They are fantastic and worth every penny.

Quote:

11:32 a.m. on June 4, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I ended up buying Black Diamond poles from Campmor. I know Leki has a great rep, but since I'm just a day-hiker and not carrying a lot of weight I thought I would go for the less-expensive static poles and upgrade later if necessary. Thanks for your reply.

Quote:

I used Leki Makalu Antishock Trekking Poles (made for Campmor; $75) in White Mts. and Canyonlands N.P. They are fantastic and worth every penny.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply