light weight, free standing tent

10:24 p.m. on June 2, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I am looking for a free standing tent, three season, weighing less than four lbs. Any feedback on Eureka Backcountry 1. Thanks to all who respond.

11:39 a.m. on June 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Take a look at the Mountain Hardwear Tri-Light 2. It's on the expensive side, but there's a big payoff. Maybe a little far-fetched on the design, but it does the job beautifully. I lucked out when a nearby store accidentally marked the tent down 30%, so I got a deal. : I am looking for a free standing tent, three season, weighing less than four lbs. Any feedback on Eureka Backcountry 1. Thanks to all who respond.

12:15 p.m. on July 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Take a look at the Eureka Zeus I or II. ($110 / $140) They are 90% freestanding requiring only two stakes for the vestuble and two more for the side flaps if you want to use any of them. I've used the Zeus II without to many problems. My only real qualm is that it really doesn't have room for two people + gear. But since I normally go solo the Zeus II is a 3 pound, 10 ounce palace.

You may also want to check out www.wanderlustgear.com and the 1 pound, 14 ounce Nomad Lite tent. At $275 it was sadly out of my price range. But from what I've seen it out-performs everything else out there by a pound or three. For a 2 man tent check out the Nomad 2-4-2. (coming in at a scant 1 pound 15 ounces) Kurt Russell hand makes every tent is is one of the most hiker friendly people I've ever seen.

Quote:

Take a look at the Mountain Hardwear Tri-Light 2. It's on the expensive side, but there's a big payoff. Maybe a little far-fetched on the design, but it does the job beautifully. I lucked out when a nearby store accidentally marked the tent down 30%, so I got a deal. : I am looking for a free standing tent, three season, weighing less than four lbs. Any feedback on Eureka Backcountry 1. Thanks to all who respond.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply