Insoles. Necessary?

11:35 p.m. on June 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've got flat, problematic feet and I've always used insoles, of various kinds. But on getting a new pair of custom boots, i was advised to forego any insoles because once these form to my feet they would give me better support than with insoles. The breakin isn't complete yet, but my arches aren't adapting too well. still, i'm worried about screwing up that custom fit with insoles. What has your experience been?

6:00 a.m. on June 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

If you bought custom made boots you shouldn

2:14 p.m. on June 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Chris

Quote:

I've got flat, problematic feet and I've always used insoles, of various kinds. But on getting a new pair of custom boots, i was advised to forego any insoles because once these form to my feet they would give me better support than with insoles. The breakin isn't complete yet, but my arches aren't adapting too well. still, i'm worried about screwing up that custom fit with insoles. What has your experience been?

Were the footbeds of the boots also customized for your feet? (If so, you shouldn't add insoles. But I doubt they were, and if they were I don't understand why there would be a break-in period for the footbeds...) Are the footbeds made out of some type of "memory" material that customize themselves to your feet over time? If so, I'm not sure that this would work well--if your feet are too flat, they will break the insole into the "wrong" position.

What you could do is try Superfeet or some other insole with a guaranteed "free trial" period. If they don't fit well, you can always return them. You can gets insoles of varying volume...

But I guess the moral of the story, as I have found out to my regret in the past, is that if you want to use insoles, you should try on your boot with the insoles you want at the time that you buy the boot (or have them taken into account if the boots are being custom-made).

10:35 p.m. on June 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks for the comments. You're quite right that if you get custom boots made you should fit them with whatever insole or orthotic you plan on using. I didn't use one on mine and i am still breaking them in without one. there really is no insole thin enough that the fit won't change, not even Suoerfeet blue or scarpa insoles, which probably are the thinnest. As it's turning out, my customs don't seem to need one: the midsole is leather and is forming to my foot, including support for my arch. Every day is better. But I don't know about an expedition carrying weight on my back for a couple of weeks... I think i'll take some insoles, just in case, and hope I won't need them. I still have faith in the initial advice that the fit and support will be better without one. But just in case...

5:32 p.m. on June 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Steve T, Steve

Chris and HJK,
Considering custom boots myself. Who did you go with? Limmer, Merrell, Esatto, someone else? Also, interested in your impression on the fitting experience (did they seem to know what they were doing?) and wait time between fitting and delivery. thanks!

Quote:

Thanks for the comments. You're quite right that if you get custom boots made you should fit them with whatever insole or orthotic you plan on using. I didn't use one on mine and i am still breaking them in without one. there really is no insole thin enough that the fit won't change, not even Suoerfeet blue or scarpa insoles, which probably are the thinnest. As it's turning out, my customs don't seem to need one: the midsole is leather and is forming to my foot, including support for my arch. Every day is better. But I don't know about an expedition carrying weight on my back for a couple of weeks... I think i'll take some insoles, just in case, and hope I won't need them. I still have faith in the initial advice that the fit and support will be better without one. But just in case...

8:08 a.m. on July 28, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Limmers can be fitted by a drawing you do yourself, or you can go down to Intervale and ask Peter to do it for you. Peter Limmer Jr obviously knows what he's doing. And he's a great guy. But the wait is about 4 years. Still, I think these are the best boots in the world. They're certainly the best I've ever used. After some use, it's clear that the insoles really aren't necessary at all.
I'm interested about the other customs mentioned.Any details?
HJK

Quote:

Chris and HJK,
Considering custom boots myself. Who did you go with? Limmer, Merrell, Esatto, someone else? Also, interested in your impression on the fitting experience (did they seem to know what they were doing?) and wait time between fitting and delivery. thanks!

Quote:

December 10, 2017
Quick Reply